Can you please help me identify?

(2 posts)
  1. CB09

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 18:50:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I was cleaning a room of my house that got cluttered and attacked with mildew this past fall season. The bed is a total loss and must be gotten rid of but as I was cleaning things off of it I started to see very tiny, almost microscopic moving white specks. I first saw them clustered on a paper book cover but upon closer examination i was able to find them on every other paper product in the immediate area. They are so small it is hard to make out the exact shape but they appear rounded. About the size of a grain of salt or smaller and there are quite a few of them. I can not tell if they are on the mattress as i can only see them at a certain angle on the papers flat surface. They easily squish but there are too many. Any idea what im working with here? Or how to get rid of them without loosing my pictures and books?

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 23:29:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Picture would help. Sounds like booklice. Not parasitic lice, but small insects associated with mold and mildew. Vacuum to remove from surfaces and have to decrease humidity to reduce mold and mildew. Bed/mattress/box spring moldy, then must remove.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,244 posts in 45,470 topics over 139 months by 19,981 of 20,745 members. Latest: verboserabbit, ShortBanana, Holidaybugs