newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 17:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all;

Can you ID the bug in this photo? Looks darn close to a bedbug to me

high res bug photo

On Thursday evening, we found this thing crawling up the wall of my stairwell. We live in a second floor apartment and the only thing down those stairs is our front door and it's pretty far from everything else. I have never seen one before then. I asked my apartments management if there were bedbug reports in other units, they told me that no one in the complex has reported any. My husbands workplace is an unlikely source, and I work from home, don't thrift, and am generally paranoid and cautious about exactly this. Phobic actually

BUT the Tuesday of this week, the cable guy came over to collect some of their equipment as we had canceled service. And voila, this thing appears on my wall 2 days later. Is it possible this thing was a hitchhiker? Is it possible it was alone?

No one in my household has experienced bites. I went on a rampage and tore the house apart searching for more and found not a thing- not on the mattress, couches, baseboards, etc. I brushed diatomaceous earth in all the cracks around the baseboards and where the carpet meets the wall, and under the bed because I basically freaked out. It too 6 hours... but I am totally terrified.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this- it's greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 18:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, that is in fact a bed bug.

3. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 18:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like you snapped a shot of it pooping!

4. Maddy1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 19:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Killer Queen for your prompt response, I appreciate your help identifying it. It's what I was afraid of.

Is there any possibility he was all alone? Or am I being too optimistic? How long until I know if it was a one-off hitchhiker, or I have a problem? Oh my gosh I have so much anxiety right now I just ordered mattress and box spring covers...

Ninja edit: LOL, Blargg yeah- I kinda squished it under some tape a little bit. Then... I froze it!

5. VictoryIsMine

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 19:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there any possibility he was all alone? Or am I being too optimistic? How long until I know if it was a one-off hitchhiker, or I have a problem? Oh my gosh I have so much anxiety right now I just ordered mattress and box spring covers...

Possibility, yes. Likelihood, no one knows. You can get a BBActive/Passive Alert and monitor. Monitoring is a good proactive habit to pick up, regardless.

Best of luck.

6. Maddy1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 20:15:38
    #

Login to Send PM

VictoryIsMine- wow the BBActive/Passive Alert and monitor is awesome. Thanks so so much for letting me know about it! I just ordered a couple

Thanks everyone for the comments <3 It has helped me a lot!

7. VictoryIsMine

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 22:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to help.

It's a tough one, to fight bbs. Hope you get this over soon and share your success story to inspire us.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.