Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Can they live in washer or dryer?

(3 posts)
  1. lynnee82

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2008 16:30:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible for the BB's to live in the upper section of the washer under the lid? If water does not kill them, could they conceivably climb up into the top of the washer? How would I know if they were there? I hate these things!

2. bitten123

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2008 16:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

lynnee, I suppose they could live anywhere. I think it highly unlikely they would set up shop in the washer in that area. As for living in the dryer, I think that is even more unlikely.

Okay, first is it conceivable they could climb up there? Yes. Is it likely, probably not likely.

If they were there how would you notice? I'm not sure, but I would assume bright flashlight and looking over washer carefully. If you have access to a steamer, you could steam that area under the lip to make you feel better. Make sure it is only the metal area, not the area where any wires/electrical areas. Also make sure you unplug it before doing anything. Personally I do not think it is very likely, but I'm no expert.

I know I have read on here people saying they have seen them dead in the washers at laundry mats. Water does kill them IF they drown or the water is boiling. They do have to breathe air, so if they are submerged long enough, they drown and die. The reason washing alone might not kill them if the water is not hot enough or not agitated enough, but that would be unlikely. However, washing would not kill the eggs, but most likely it would drown the adults. The dryer when sat on high and your clothes are thoroughly dry and you dry them another 10 minutes tto 40 minutes PAST dry should kill the eggs and the bugs.

I know it is easy to worry, and I have wondered the same thing, but I think the likelihood of your washer being infected are pretty slim. Hopefully the experts will chime in.

3. bbgirl

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 26 2011 11:04:38
    #

Login to Send PM

After washing some infested bedding I dampened a microfibre cloth with rubbing alcohol and wiped around several ridges near the top of the washer and around the edge of the lid - 6 bright cherry red nymphs! The alcohol killed them on contact if they weren't already dead - they had climbed up to get out of the hot water I guess. One of the travelling tips that a PCO gave me was that upon returning home all clothing, dirty or clean goes immediately into the dryer for 40 minutes as they can clamber out of a washer and dryer first is safer. Then wash dirty clothing and dry again. Seems unlikely that they could get out of a washer but if they can make it up to the lid it's possible. If you can bring yourself to throw dirty laundry into the dryer seems like a good first step if you feel that they are infested.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,968 posts in 29,377 topics over 90 months by 12,671 of 19,924 members. Latest: bbedge, wierdbugonbed, TheGG