Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

can I packtite ziplocs after treatment and do I need to open them?

(3 posts)
  1. buggedoutbeyond

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 15:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't have enough money for a packtite just now. Our PCO wants us to bag EVERYTHING and ziplocs cost alot!

They said to visually check everything for bedbugs before putting them into bags - I'm planning to use ziplocs to be safe, but they said even garbage bags were ok. Garbage bags are cheaper - I thought of using clear contractor bags, but don't quite know the proper way to seal them.

Can you Packtite ziplocs and their contents after treatment? and do you do that open or closed? Will the XXL ziplocs fit in a packtite?

2. MyWorstFear

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 21:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I've packtite-d ziplocs and have had no problems. I've also packtite-d various plastic bags without any ill effects. Some bags will be kind of soft and hot when you first take them out of the Packtite, but they go back to what they were within minutes. If I were you, I'd put the ziploc in the packtite and once it's in the Packtite, dump the contents out into the packtite because:
    1) If the ziploc is closed with the clothes inside it, there's no way to tell what the inside temperature of the bags and contents will be unless you poke a hole in the ziploc and stick the thermometer probe thru that, which would make the ziploc useless for any future use.
    2) I think the contents will heat up faster when they aren't inside the ziploc, but I have no way of knowing if this is true.
    3) XXL ziplocs should fit easily. Just be aware that the more you put into the packtite, the longer it will take to get up to the proper temperature.

3. bushbugg

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 22:16:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged out:

Order some Ziploc L XL and XXL bags.
    I would (am) using triage, meaning divide into groups. Toss what you can, ziploc fabrics after they have been heated (dry in a dryer, although time is debateable, some say 60 minutes, some 90) and garbage bag other things.

Contractor bags are great. Some people also suggest Warp brothers banana bags for larger items.

Yes you absolutely can packtite plastics; ziplocs, comic book mylar bags, etc. It is also CRUCIAL that you packtite them open, as doing it while closed can create a cool air pocket that will allow bug survival.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,150 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter