(11 posts)
  1. jenn2011

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 5 2011 21:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi:
    Can someone please help...I've really been freaking out; a couple of days ago, I found a small, brown , flat bug on my bed sheets. Based on pics I've seen, it looks like a bedbug. Perhaps a 3rd or fourth nymph stage.(I didn't take a pic unfortunately.) I know it wasn't a tick. When I killed it blood came out. I haven't had any visible bite marks on me. I washed my entire bedsheets, pillow cases, and comforter in hot water than in the dryer. I checked my mattress and box spring very carefully, including areas around the bed, and I haven't seen any bugs. My question is could it be possible for me to just have had that one? Should I be concerned? I could use some advice. I need my mind at ease. Thanks!

2. PrettyHateMachine

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 5 2011 22:15:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but I think it would be possible to only get one, If you picked it up somewhere and brought it home with you. But if that is the case you have to think about where you could of picked it up from so you don't bring anymore back to your home.

3. slj29

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2011 4:53:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It always starts with one. If it's a male, it ends there. If it's a female, you might already have eggs somewhere in your apartment.

4. slj29

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2011 4:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

And by that I mean: even if you see just one bug, you should hire a PCO to treat your apartment. Go through the motions. The odds are high that you have a nest somewhere.

5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2011 14:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't have to start with one: if you get an infested piece of used furniture, it will probably have multiple bugs. But it certainly can start with one. My not-an-expert understanding is that the adult females tend to wander more (partly to get away from the males due to the unusual mating habits of bedbugs), so if you get just one it's more likely to be an adult female than a male or nymph.

Anyway, yes, be concerned. Lack of bite marks doesn't tell you anything, because a lot of people don't react. (The actual damage from the bite itself is imperceptible: what we see is our body's reaction to it.) And they're small and good at hiding, so the odds of finding the first bug are pretty poor.

6. bedbugman

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2011 16:45:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I get this now and again, I had one a few weeks ago from the bite pattern I suspected it was just the one after half an hour I located a single male bb which was quickly and humanely dispatched I have been in regular contact with the very happy client who has had no more bites.

7. Ithappenedtwice

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 16:22:05
    #

Login to Send PM

5 months ago I had a single hitchhiker come into my apartment. It was an adult male and the story ended there. Last night, however, I found an adult female and unfortunately since it was a female I will be starting a treatment regime with a PCO.

8. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 13:46:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw the topic title and thought, "Nope, no asking for bed bugs, not even just one."

9. ChiTown83

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 15:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible. I am pretty certain I had just a single bed bug hitchhike into my apartment a few years ago. I based this on the fact that I got 2 or 3 bites in a row every 4 nights or so. It matched the frequency with which a single bug feeds. And my problem was easily cleared up, and I never saw a bug, or any blood splotches or things like that. Shortly thereafter, I traced the problem to my local coffeeshop, where I often studied for hours at a time, with my open bag sitting next to me (never again!). I actually found a bug crawling on me while sitting there, and finally put 2+2 together.

However, I'm not sure how likely it is to see a bug and have it be the only one. And it's harder to tell if you don't react. I get huge red welts, so my body was a pretty good sign I'd gotten rid of the problem.

10. BBsMustDie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 11:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm hoping I recently only had one hitchike home w/me after seeing a show in NYC. I found it - not a full grown adult yet - about a month after the show (and only one suspicious bite a week during that time). We still treated (only my room though) and I was still just too anxious about every little red mark I would see (I have sensitive skin and while I used to get huge itchy red welts from BB bites, they don't itch anymore and don't seem quite so large). And then the other day I notice 3 small welts, one got larger over night, the others faded, they were in no pattern whatsoever though. I'm hoping they were just mosquito bites since it's been almost 3 weeks since we treated and it's been ridiculously hot and humid lately so they are kinda everywhere outside. I just can't see how it could be BB's though - the one I found was not yet at the stage where it could have laid any eggs, and I was only getting one bite a week so if there were a pregnant female somewhere in the room as well you'd think I'd be getting bitten from that one as well. I pulled apart the bed again last night just needing to see and found no traces, no fecal matter, no skins, nothing near the baseboards or sockets to show any of this either... It sucks either way because either they're there and it's gonna take til the infestation is worse for me to find them, or they're not there and I'm wasting my life worrying over a problem I don't currently have....blah, sorry that kinda turned into a rant. I really am hoping it was only one though and the worst that comes out of this is i need anxiety meds for a month or two til I get passed it...

11. Sad

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 23:01:49
    #

Login to Send PM

BBsMustDie I totally hear you. Peace of mind is hard to find. I am post bedbug trama but not really. Its been 5 months since I was in living in an apartment with a roommate who had gotten infrequent but consistent bites, 1-3 every 2-3weeks. We had the apartment treated, months (3-5 months) after the first bites happened because it wasn't until then that we found evidence, a bug...not sure if it was female or male...how does one tell. And I also found a shed skin (most likely belonging to that bug since it was in the same area). We treated, boiled, baked, bathed in alcohol, sealed up things and moved out. And I am still not over the anxiety....not sure I can be knowing Bedbugs are on the rise. And btw where else can one rant? You don't want your friends to fear you so you don't tell them and (not that I let anyone visit me while still at the old place) if you did I don't know if they would really get it. My parents were born in the 40s and grew up in a foreign country bed bugs are a common household pest, and DDT was a common all-purpose cleaner. They don't get it either.

I still wonder if we had one bug, a few? a ton ...either I was never bitten or I am not reactive.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,689 posts in 29,313 topics over 90 months by 12,642 of 19,893 members. Latest: thatznotokay, uzu, thatchick