Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Can I kill bb's with carbon-monoxide ???

(2 posts)
  1. OmgThereAnnoying

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 1:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a quick question, but is it possible that i can kill bb's with carbon monoxide. Not that I'm crazy enough to flood my house with it, but in theory is it possible. I searched it on google but came up empty handed, instead got reviews on carbon dioxide, but in order to kill them with carbon dioxide i would have to clear the room of all the oxogen.

Just curious !!!!!!

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 4:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

(For some reason your thread got started twice – no doubt site host nobugsonme will delete the duplicate.)

Purely guessing at an answer to your question: maybe carbon monoxide would kill bed bugs, but there might be issues about how well it penetrates the little nooks and crannies where they hide? So you could flood a home of whatever with the CO but have lots of bugs survive for that reason?

Not to mention CO is tasteless colorless and odorless and therefore tricky and dangerous to handle because you never know when it might sneak up on you if there's a leak or whatever?

Whereas the people who developed sulfuryl fluoride known as Vikane or other trade names may have found by extensive experimentation that its powers of penetration and other characteristics gave it favorable properties as a weapon against bed bugs that a lot of other gases don't have? For instance if you could kill bed bugs with carbon monoxide then presumably you could kill them with hydrogen cyanide too, but again the hazardous nature of the gas, plus issues about its penetration, maybe leaving residue, maybe affecting other things in the residence in a destructive way, maybe tending to seep out of the nooks and crannies hours or days later thus endangering humans who had returned, and so on, may have determined those gases are a bad idea whereas the Vikane is ideal. I have no knowledge or expertise in this area, but maybe this could suggest a context that would address your curiosity somewhat.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,712 posts in 31,253 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear