Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Can bedbugs walk up the sides of plastic bins?

(9 posts)
  1. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2008 11:31:35
    #

Login to Send PM

ie will a topless plastic bin (or one with a non-airtight lid)provide protection against the bbs on the floor? How about plastic bags? I've been wearing plastic bags on my feet/lower legs, but am not convinced that works. How about tyvek boots & tyvek jumpsuits? If the seams and other openings are taped, would they be able to climb up to your neck to get to you?

2. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2008 12:54:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I once witnessed one crawling down a wall that was smooth and painted with oil based paint.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2008 13:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a bedbug crawl up the side of a plastic bin. However there are different plastic surfaces and my plastic bin might have had a micro-etched surface. It was sort of frosted.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2008 13:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are light and have a good grip. As a result anything other than a smooth glass or very high gloss surface is open to them climbing up and down.

The surface may appear smooth to you but you have to think at the BB level on this one and any potential keyed surface they will exploit.

As for the bag on the feet thing I only do that when people are worried about foot prints on the carpet.

David Cain
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  5. pleasenotme

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2008 19:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

How about if you used a plastic bin with a lid and taped around the lid?

6. freaked out in brooklyn

Deleted Account *do not PM*

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 18 2008 20:55:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to say. I found a bb in a glue trap. I put it in plastic to show the pco. It moved through the very sticky glue trap from one end to the other end in 1 1/2 days before it died. Now that is something else, so they have some super strong legs... And it was so small, I am even more paranoid of what is out in the public, movie houses, concert event, subway, car service.

7. AntsInPants

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 19 2008 1:02:25
    #

Login to Send PM

They have the kind of grip that an elite human rock climber has - very impressive.

I fantasize about all-glass furniture: a bed frame made of glass and glass tables.

The light bulb in my room just blew out ( over-voltages in the apartment, I think ). I'm sitting in the dark, surrounded by a circle of DE powder on the floor; it's like a cheesey horror movie.

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 19 2008 1:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have observed bed bugs easily climbing out of a new Ziplock storage container and I have also seen bed bugs fail to escape from a clean yogurt container.

It all depends on the texture on the surface of the container.

9. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 18:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Doug, Maybe that bed bug you had observed that failed to escape the yogurt container had a handicap. Did you inspect it to see that it did not suffer from a bed bug disability like a troubled leg or something?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,309 posts in 28,319 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter