Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can bedbug bites be invisible?

(16 posts)
  1. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 3:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Just moved into new place, brought some kerbside furniture (I know, I know...) now have itching all over my body for last two days. However there are no visible signs of bites. Can bedbug bites be invisible?

2. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 3:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to mention, I also have itching in my hair; had heard that bedbugs don't go there.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 6:14:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Non-expert response just from reading innumerable bedbugger.com threads: bed bug bites can be anything they want. There's a tremendous variety of different reactions people have. Maybe 50%-70% of people don't react at all. People who do react have all sorts of different versions of what they report, after differing amounts of time, and so on.

But also: just because you have itching doesn't mean it's bed bugs. There are so many other things it can be – fleas, mites, body lice and/or head lice, prickly hairs of carpet beetle larvae, a skin condition, psychosomatic, etc. etc..

Well, I better let those people knowledgeable in this area take it from here.

4. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 7:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply. I also found a bedbug skin in my bedroom, (two kerbside cushions were in my room overnight) so I've thrown the cushions out. Now to decide whether the mattress and futon are also infected, which are in the living room. Not sure about these as they were only on the kerb for a a day, whereas cushions out there for ages.

Any more information appreciated. What should I do now to stop it spreading? I plan to vacuum the house and wash all my bedding on hot tonight.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 13:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Please read the FAQ on detection methods. You need to determine for sure that you have them and then they can be dealt with.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 20:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I do have bedbugs: bites, a skin and faecal matter. I have thrown out kerbside furniture that has been in my home for two days, vacuumed the house and will clean clothes/bedding. Lets see.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 23:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Trolandb,

If you have indeed found a cast skin and fecal stains, then I would recommend you get knowledgeable and experienced assistance in treating your problem. It really is hard to get rid of bed bugs. Unfortunately, you can't assume they all stayed inside the furniture that was later discarded.

8. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 10:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you no bugs on me.

I've been trying to post a new topic in 'treatment' but it's not working. Here's what I wanted to write.

I moved into an empty house 4 days ago, and brought some kerbside furniture with me. I stored some in my bedroom, some in the living room. I've since found a bedbug skin and two live bugs in my bedroom, all in the same area where the carpet meets the wall. (strange though that this wasn't where I left the furniture) and am itchy. Also I have noticed what might possibly be blood spots on sheets, visible bites, and faecal matter , but not 100% sure that these are from BBs).

So it looks like I have bedbugs! I threw away the used furniture after 2 nights, but saw the live bugs after this. I have also taped up cracks in my room , which may have been a bad idea.

The companies I've called are quoting around £150 ($240) for just my bedroom, or £300 ($480) for the whole 3 bedroom house. This is a big difference for me, and I don't want to pay £300 unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

The other bedrooms have no evidence of infection, but they are adjacent to mine. The living room also has no evidence. I slept there one night (on the kerbside mattresses) to draw them out, but can't tell if the itching in the morning was from the previous night in my bedroom.

I know the obvious answer will be to get the whole house done, but that is really a lot of money. Does anyone have any advice/experience on this topic?

9. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 11:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

If you wait to treat, your problem may become more difficult and more expensive to treat in the long run.

Invest the money now and treat as aggressively as you can afford.

And make sure you get a positive ID for bed bugs. If you post a picture here, there are people who can help you determine for sure that's what you have. Your PCO should also confirm it for you.

When you throw out the curbside furniture, please mark it with the words "bed bugs" so that others don't do what you did.

Good luck.

10. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 11:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, you're right about the time scale, I'm going to have it done by early next week. Will have another inspection of the house tonight. The ones I have are too small for an iphone camera to focus on though! I'll see if I can get a better one.

I marked it with a sign saying:

"DO NOT USE"
    "BEDBUGS!"
    "Will be removed"

And it was gone the next day :0

However I assume this was the rubbish collection, rather than an illiterate furniture seeker...

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 11:47:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It's also possible your place had a problem prior to your arrival.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  12. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 12:06:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto, yeah I know, this could be the case because all the bugs were found on the opposite side of the room to where the kerbside furniture was stored. But having brought this stuff into the house, how on earth could I tell? It's not a large room. I wonder if there's a way to date the discarded skin I found...unlikely!

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 12:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

We might never know, but it may help you feel better about bringing in the curbside furniture (which may had been OK, or had been dumped from your place, for all you know). Or a little emotional ammunition if your landlord tries to blame you.

14. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 13:18:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually I spent £40 on a van to transport them from outside my old place...:-) that's where I found them.

These pictures are the bet my iPhone can do, but if anyone can make anything out...

Live bug : (the thing at the top, dark reddy brown, definitely insect of some kind)

http://i.imgur.com/6JJVd.jpg

Cast skin:

http://i.imgur.com/p6h8J.jpg

15. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 13:49:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you'll feel a lot more confident if you checked out one of these two guides:
    From Australia: http://medent.usyd.edu.au/bedbug/bedbug_cop.htm

From the USA: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf

Both, any many more useful publications, can be found via our site's Resources page.

16. Trolandb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 18:18:51
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,716 posts in 31,255 topics over 95 months by 13,521 of 17,233 members. Latest: Fozsbear, NotInfested, slee