Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Can bedbed bites have two puncture marks?

(7 posts)
  1. bittennyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 19:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I got a bite that has two puncture marks that are dark red on my finger. It does not itch and may hurt a little (I'm not sure if the pain is real or is just because I've been touching it a lot) and my skin is a little red for a diameter of about 5 mm around the center of the marks. One puncture mark is larger than the other and they are 2 mm apart (from the center of one to the center of the other). The larger puncture hole is just over 1 mm in diameter and the smaller one is just under 1 mm in diameter. Is this a bed bug bite? I know everyone reacts differently and I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar reaction. I'll post a picture after I dig my camera out of the bin that I stored all my electronics in. Thanks for your help!

2. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 22:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

No. Bed bugs only puncture once ... spiders puncture with two marks.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 19 2010 6:30:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Spider bites are rare but happen. The spider bites in defense and it is possible you reached into something with a spider in it and it bit in panic before crushing.

Those are usually dry bites with no envenomation however do keep it clean and watch for any further reaction. Even a dry bite is a puncture wound and secondary infection can happen.

Jim

4. bittennyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 19 2010 21:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thanks so much for your replies. I remembered reading this in NY Magazine, "When the bedbugs come for you, they inject you with two tubes: one that supplies your skin with an anticoagulant and an anesthetic so that you don’t react to what’s going on, and another to draw the blood meal." and that's what made me think it might be from a bedbug. I know when it was confirmed that I had them last year (in my entire building was infested) something definitely left two fang marks when I got bit (and it was a painful, itchy bite). Could this have been two separate bites a few millimeters apart? Do people actually see a puncture hole in their bite? Thanks!

5. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 20 2010 13:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey bittennyc,

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here - but I believe that bed bugs only have a single proboscis. A mosquito - for example - has one long mouth part (a single proboscis) that it uses to inject AND extract. The bed bugs have only one too - but it has two tubes in it. One injects, the other extracts. It would be like having a really big straw with two little straws in it.

As for a year ago - it may or may not have been a bed bug. Other bugs can bite you in addition to bed bugs (you can have a roach infestation at the same time you have bed bugs - it's not one or the other for example) so you could have been bit by a spider or other insect in addition to bed bugs at the time. Lastly - yes - it could have been two bites slightly apart (or even two bugs there feeding).

As for seeing a puncture hole in the bite - this is dependant upon the person being bit. Some people do indeed, others do not. It depends on the person and how they react.

Hope all of that helps somewhat!

6. bittennyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 1:06:11
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great to know -- I've been convinced that the bites had two puncture holes since that's what I had last year but I guess it means that I was bitten twice or even scarier that those might have been from something else and I might not react to the bedbug bites. My apartment definitely had bedbugs since the entire building had them and I found them before and after the dog came for the inspection (which was "positive" in many places). Does anyone know where to go to let a bedbug feed on you so that you can see how you react?

7. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 9:37:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey bittennyc,

Getting a real bed bug to bite you would depend on where you are located. I have heard that Rutgers may allow you to do so here in NJ (be sure to call the appropriate department FIRST though to make sure, as it's just a rumor I heard) and maybe a pest control company that has a few may let you too.

I take it you are doing this to see how you react to them? I have heard that people react differently to bed bug bites on different parts of their bodies on different days. It's supposedly random. Some bites could be itchy, others not, others show up in a few hours, others take days. I am not so sure about that (as there are also reports that the nymphs and adults leave the same reaction - which can't be 100% true if the bites can be different from Monday to Sunday) but I wanted to warn you that it *could* be the case.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,150 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter