Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Can bed bugs jump?

(4 posts)
  1. mcsmcs

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 0:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. I was laying in bed, unable to sleep, when I felt something crawl on my arm.

I grabbed it, then jumped up, turned on the light, and went running around the room looking for the TAPE I just put around my bed last night. No luck. No luck at all. Of course it's past midnight and I am tired.

Had a Dixie cup on my bureau so I grabbed that, thinking to put the bug in the cup and then get a look at it and either find the tape, or squash the bug and leave it in there until I found something to put it in.

So I put it in the cup, I saw it hit the bottom of the cup, and then it bounced out. I didn't get a great look at it. But BBs don't seem to me to be all that bouncy, and they don't jump, right? I would think if I put a BB in a Dixie cup, it would crawl around briefly confused before trying to crawl out. Can they jump?

Size wise it was....smaller than the quarter or half inch of an adult bug. So it would be a baby BB if it was one. But it's sounding like a flea. I think.

If yes, I have a few options: fleas plus BBs, fleas plus mosquitos when I am outside, or BBs actually can jump and it was a BB.

*I do have a history of fleas biting me, and having some reactions to those bites. I don't know why, but the freaking things love me (even though I am not furry.)

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 3:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs do NOT jump!

They only crawl.

Fleas, as you know, are powerful jumpers, so it sounds like you may have had one of those.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. mcsmcs

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 7:14:39
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I thought, about the BBs.

So. I have a possible but not confirmed bite on my forehead (it hurts but doesn't itch - might be acne, I've been having a flareup lately.) I have a bite on my arm that is itchy, but corresponds to where I saw a mosquito on my arm. I have a red thing forming where I found the flea. I have no "breakfast lunch dinner" bite patterns, just single bites. And I need to go check the double sided tape again. It caught nothing Wed night. And I haven't noticed any blood on my pillow or the sheets.

I'm happy it WASN'T a BB on my arm; I might have freaked. If it were my house I would totally be calling a PCO NOW to search for BBs so I wouldn't have to see them. They really wig me out.

I guess I know I have fleas. I may have BBs. I know the reaction, short of me finding a BB, will be to flea bomb the house. Not good. But what can you do? At the very least then it will be clearer if we have BBs.

This time last year I would have had BBs in the back of my mind, but I would have focused on fleas. But I have an acquaintance with BBs. I can't think of any way I could have picked them up off her but it makes it more in my head.

Sigh. Thanks for the insight.

4. mcsmcs

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 8:11:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I have a possible REAL bite. So I might have two insects biting me. Lovely. Not sure on the bite; it's red and only a tiny bit raised and it looks like maybe a blocked or scabbed pore is at the middle of it. But it may develop.

I have a friend who has BBs. I rode in her car on June 5. I started noticing bites two weeks later. (But I had a TON, and then I had none, and now I have some. SO I don't know what's up with that, they may not be related, because I felt biting things outside that week.) Her son started showing bites around the same time as I had those first bites. She's shown no bites and the exterminator seems to think the infestation is located in her son's room only.

We both went to a workshop June 5. We didn't sit anywhere, but we did walk around a camp and walk around a fair. I suppose we COULD have picked some up there, but then I don't know how bugs could then end up only in her son's room. Does this timeline seem plausible?

I'm mentioning something tonight. My father can go over my room and see if he sees any bugs. Saves me the trauma of seeing them if they are there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,352 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter