Can bed bugs be gray coloured ?

(3 posts)
  1. Marsha

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 18 2011 4:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Bed Buggers!! I wanted to know if bed Bugs can be gray coloured, since i saw a bug on my bed that looked EXACTLY like a bed bug on my bed one night and i killed it and in the tissue saw red blood that was prob mine!! So I went nutts looking in my spring box and mattress and carpet and bed frame but found nothing, no bed bugs... I do feel itchy at night but dont know whats biting me, Do you guys think thta grey bed bug look alike was a bed bug?? Do gray ones reproduce as fast as ur regular brown bed bugs? because im real concerned and want to know if there are more of em in my room! I found the bug the same day i laid an old quilt on my bed....

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 18 2011 7:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert myself but I think the experts will tell you normally bed bugs are *not* gray-colored but color can be highly subjective and also the blood you saw can be highly subjective as to whether it may really have been some sort of fluid from the arthropod itself or from something it might have been eating that wasn't blood.

Bottom line is, keep searching for more of the arthropods you saw and if you find any, catch them and save them in a jar or on sticky tape or whatever, don't squish them and don't throw them away. Then take a good sharp clear adequately-lit up-close photo, with a ruler or coin or similar in the photo for size comparison, and post a link to it here. Then within a few hours you're very likely to receive a definitive statement from one of the posters here who *are* experts whether it's a bed bug or not.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 18 2011 9:15:23
    #

Login to Send PM

A blood filled BB is not going to be close to gray. BBs start as yellowish translucent darkening to amber to reddish brown adults. When they feed the blood is red but darkens to black as digested.

EffeCi had some picks one time of nymphs that had nearly black abdomens I believe 2 days after feeding.

Granted color is a subjective thing but a louse would be a crawling blood feeder that would look more like gray than a BB.

The adult body louse is about the size of a sesame seed, has 6 legs, and is tan to greyish-white

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_louse

Get a picture of anything you find.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,790 posts in 29,332 topics over 90 months by 12,647 of 19,900 members. Latest: mightywarrior, badbadbug, crawlinginmyownskin