Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can bed bug bite through clothes and socks?

(19 posts)
  1. Paranoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 0:54:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

I'm really beginning to wonder if my office table have bed bugs. I have this feeling of something biting me constantly at my legs and feet, mostly at the feet yesterday. When I got home, I realised 2 pin size punctured wounds on my left feet (or at least they look like punctured wounds) and a small pimple like swelling on my right. The swelling was slightly itchy whereas there is no itchy or pain on the punctured wounds.

During the past 2 months, I have a few rash on my shins and calf, most are small in size, 0.5cm to 1cm rash. They never disappear. Sometimes they would appear as dark brown They are not itchy nor do they swell, its been 2 months and the oldest rash is still there.

I was wearing pants. socks and shoes. Could there be any other bugs or mites that could be biting me?

Assuming that there are bed bugs on my office table, would they spread to my colleagues that's nearby? It's been 2 months and nobody complained abt getting any itchy bites.

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 5:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

What type of flooring do you have in the office? I ask because it does not sound like Bed Bugs but there is also another invisible pest of offices which this might be.

David

3. Paranoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 5:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

I certainly hope its another type of bugs. My office flooring is carpeted entirely. Reading from the forum that bed bugs have poor graping power so I tried to drop my office chair in hope to see some bugs dropping but there's none (haha). Not very high though, at most 2-3 inches from the ground. I just hope they are not hiding in my table.

The thought of bed bugs give me the creep and I got to admit that reading the forum gives me greater creep though its very informative too. I've been soaking my clothes in water the moment I reach home and washing them the next day in the hope of drowning any bed bugs. I dont want them in my home, provided there's none at home.

I forgot to add that the 2 pin size puncture at my feet are not together, they are 1 inch apart.

I've got another puncture wound on my forearm last week in the office. It started off with a very slight raised swelling. Cant see it but you can feel it. Was slightly itchy and rashes around it. Slightly itch for at most 15 to 30mins. The swelling turned pinkish. and when it subsided 1 day later, I notice the puncture wound. Could it be caused by the invisible pest too?

Thank you so much for the help. I cant possibly inform my company maintenance. They will view it as a trival matter. They need proof, in this case, a bug or whatever is biting me.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 6:18:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Talk to your pest controller about cable mites.

They are not a pest of any description but it certainly fits the profile of what you have described.

There is a simple solution and no its not an infestation if its them.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 8:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

To answer if you can be bitten through clothing--I was bitten through clothing once. The material was gauzy and thin, and I had been away for two weeks and was just back to my apartment. So I can say that starving bedbugs can bite through thin material because it happened to me. I saw the bedbug and felt the bite. For some reason the numbing agent they inject didn't get through to me with that particular bite. Normally I rarely feel the actual biting.

6. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 10:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Re: your "drop test". While cleaning today I found a bed bug on a box, so I thought I'd test its grapping power by slamming the box against the floor HARD. Damn thing simply wouldn't let go. Long story short: they are KIND OF clumsy on various surfaces, but on things like cardboard they can grip like a m*********.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 10:49:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I find this mystery bite thing very interesting. If so many people are suffering than why do we choose to kind of sweep things under the carpet and try to define this very real happening as DP. After well over a year that I have experienced this and reading that many many others are experiencing this I find it an easy way of not to trouble shoot the problem by writing it off as DP. My gut feeling is that yes the skin reactions is caused by environment but not by imaginary factors such as cable mites, I believe that most people are experiencing some kind of insect that is present in their environment in one form or another, meaning as live insects or dead microscopic debris left by a now extinct bed bug infestation or insect infestation of some kind. Most people complaining of skin reactions/mystery bites have suffered a bed bug invasion in their home, car, workplace or a family member's home etc... and never had this problem of skin reactions before their bed bug infestation. I have images of my own documenting my skin reactions long after my discovery of my bb infestation, treatments and DE applications, multi furniture cleaning and polishings, house painting, steamings etc... After 14 or 15 months of not seeing a bed bug I see Lou's image of bbs in a screw hole which makes me inspect again. I find a dozen hatched eggs in a screw hole under my bed frame a a small amount of poop. I find it hard to believe that with all of the many hours of work I had put into my bed bug war I had missed this. I then steamed, applied fresh DE and left for a short trip to find that while away my skin reactions disappeared and have not come back as of yet (2 months). My family did not travel with me they remained home.
    Go figure. It is a fact that the current bed bug epidemic has taken everyone by surprise even the professionals and because of this we are witness to the fact that we are just starting to break the ice in learning about bed bugs and because of this I find that the possibility exists that the very real skin reaction/mystery bites that people are experiencing are not some kind DP experience but are real.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 10:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe fleas? Worth ruling them out with a plugin flea trap.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 14:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Cable mites are not DP and they are also not imaginary. They are however not an insect. In some office environments the static build up combined with the static building up that you get on your body is enough to cause some fibres in the carpet and atmosphere to become attracted to your body. If they are moving fast and straight enough they will penetrate layers of clothing and dig into the skin.

There is sometimes an immune response that develops as a result of the hole in the skin which can give the appearance of being bitten. I have long since suspected a similar effect with carpet beetles which is why I often so pointedly use the phrase "bite like" response.

There are solutions to this type of problem from grounding yourself while in the office to stop the static build up to detectors and treatments that may be available to your pest controller.

As for cases of delusional parasitosis I actually think they are incredible rare and that often the answer is something that needs a little more investigating and analysis. For example late on Friday I was inspecting a home where 2 bed bugs were found. I examined the whole property and found no long term signs of an infestation and no further Bed Bug samples. I did however spot a high level of Pscocids due to damp and mold. I have suggested treatment for these problems and outlined a few steps that need to be conducted to rule out other options. I would not treat because I felt that the 2 found were the two only and advised them of the common Bed Bug sources in their neighborhood and how to avoid them. Yes others would have most likely missed the Pscocids but I have to say I managed to get an amazing shot of one in prefect focus which will go in my rogues gallery later in the week.

David

10. Paranoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 1:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a friend who came over to sleep on my bed while I was in the hall over the weekend. He's got no bite mark or any itchy welts so I will assume that my house is free from bed bugs. He had it when he was young and its itchy to him.

Its monday and I'm back in my office. The biting sensation happened on Thursday. Lets see if I get anymore bites this week. I agree that it might be static as I'm someone who's really charged up. I do understand that we can get symptoms that looked like pin size puncture wound from skin allergy or blood sensitivity.

I had bed bugs 2 years back. From what I know, I didnt feel the itch or saw any bite marks then. It was only when the infestation got bigger that I felt really itchy at times. Its so itchy that I was woken from my sleep. I didnt know it was bed bugs then. I just dont want to get them again.

11. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 10:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I never had any strange skin reactions to static charges or anything else before bed bugs. If I received a mosquito bite or spider bite or bee sting I knew it immediately and the skin reactions would appear normal meaning the usual reaction, then came bed bugs. After bed bugs I then developed skin reacations/mystery bite marks that I had never displayed before. I think that this is a good indication that something has happened to my immune system and I am now ultra sensitive to things that I was not and or I still have bed bugs
    or bed bug debris that may lurk in the walls or under the floor boards. Although the possibility exists that one will receive a static shock occasionally I do not believe in the static charge theory.I have the same set up of electronics that I always had and no added electronics or electric exists. I believe that the mystery bite situations that many are experiencing are do to bed bugs in some way.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 12:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lt Dan,

Maybe it is that you are now more sensitive to these issues post bed bugs than you were pre bed bugs. You body will adapt its immune system to the environment it is in and the stresses it has endured.

I appreciate that you might not see the link with static and "cable mites" but it is exactly the same point you have just made above with post BB sensitivity to skins and other insects.

It is however something that can be tested for with a static detector and thus something that can be ruled so if you cant find any signs of Bed Bugs and plug in flea traps and not solving things then it is a valid route to test. If you cant find any signs of pests of in particular Bed Bugs then have a pest controller check it out. The only reason for me suggesting it is this case is that it is very common in office setting particularly in cases where people report issues with static.

David

13. Paranoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 4:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

Just a few questions. How can I confirm if a bite is from a bed bug if there was delayed reaction? I experienced a bite yesterday evening while out jogging. I'm not sure if a mosquito could have bitten me or was it from a bite I got in the morning and thus reacted in the evening?

I cant find any black spots or blood spot at home. Its difficult to do inspection in my office as people will be looking at me strangely.

David might be right on the cable mites that I've been experiencing. Bed bugs cannot be bitting me every hour of the day. But can I get puncture wound dots from cable mites? I still feel a sudden faint bite every now and then working at my office table.

14. terrifiedtosleep

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 4:02:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not 100% sure on this but when I first started getting bites I reacted right away but I've found in the past week or so, I don't get reactions until the mid-afternoon.

15. Paranoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 4:36:12
    #

Login to Send PM

That's why it is so frustrating. It's so hard to find evidence of bed bugs at home. I can only rely on bites and I have only 3 bites that's in a straight line, the rest are loose dots and most are not itchy, the rest that itch only last for a while and it's not that itchy. Most of are on my shins and calves.

This has been a very frustrating 2 months. I've caught what appears to be baby bed bugs on my sofa, the PCO brought it back for examination, turned out to be book lice. My friend was kind enough to stay over the weekends and he's got no bite, however he slept at 4am on both nights. I've tried to spray chemicals in my room too. I've stopped spraying 3 weeks ago. If there's really bed bugs, the bite will get more.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 5:16:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paranoid,

The simple fact is that you cant confirm if a bite is from a Bed Bug or any insect based on the bite alone. There is no such thing as a typical Bed Bug bite or bite response, you cant diagnose on bites alone.

I would suggest that you find a time when the office is less busy to inspect you work area maybe an early morning, evening or weekend visit. If you find any faecal traces, cast skins or live samples then you know there is a problem in the office as well.
    If you don't find any signs try a plug in flea trap for a few days to see if that attracts anything. If not then you need to look at the static and "cable mites" route.

As for how a "cable mite" bite would look it goes the same for this issue as with Bed Bugs, you cant tell. The reaction is so dependent upon your own immune response to having a small hole in the surface of your skin that the data is practically useless.

If you want to see how your body responds to this type of stimuli you might want to consider a small test. With a sterile needle make two small pricks in your skin. Cover one up with a fine gauze and dressing to protect it from the environment. Leave the second one open to the air. I have observed on a number of occasions that people tend to respond after significant environmental pollution exposure. For example the air quality in your home may be significantly greater than the walk from the car park to the office exposing you to more irritants. In such a situation people tend to report the issue in association with the building they are in when the reaction occurs rather than the actual cause of the reaction.

I recently took some new bite images for my site. Its worth looking through them and realising that although there appear to be 3 or 4 different bite responses in the images there are actually only two people in all the images.

I fully appreciate that bites are one of the most annoying symptoms of an infestation but they are not an accurate diagnostic tool for an infestation of Bed Bugs. The only positive signs are:

Faecal traces
    Live samples, identified and confirmed by someone who is experienced in Bed Bug identification
    Cast skins, again confirmed by someone who knows what they are talking about.

I am going to clarify the last part of that a little. If you want to know if someone knows what they are talking about with regards Bed Bugs ask them for a couple or original images that they have taken. If they can provide some they are most likely equipped and experienced enough in entomology or work professionally enough to care about what they are doing.

I met someone last who had been treated by two other companies on seven occasions. The first time chemically then six no chemical by a carbon dioxide method. On the last treatment the technician actually saw a live sample, rather than killing it be asked for a jar because it was the first one he had ever seen. Previous work experience vending ice cream at the tourist attractions in London. Oddly enough I was not interested in having him come and work with us.

Its a complex area to work in if you want to do the very best possible job, the skill set is diverse and is both physically and mentally exhausting. Over 50% of my team have higher degrees and are continually self educating with online research and that is before we look at the regular internal training.

OK long and rembeling post over.

David

17. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 11:31:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You can have bed bugs and not see signs until an infestation grows large enough that
    they will then come up and greet you.
    Respectfully, I still do not buy the cable mite bite theory. If not bed bugs than carpet beetle, fleas etc... I do understand.

Paranoid, If you look back on some old posts we have discussed the bite thing a while back.
    It may be worth it for you to research the old posts and comments, they are interesting because what you are experiencing now many of us old timers have posted and commented on while it was happening to us.

18. Paranoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 2:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, David,

Thanks for the info, that has helped indeed. I am moving out of this office to another due to restructuring. How can I be careful about not bringing any bed bugs to my new table assuming I have them? I would need to bring my PC, telephone and some other files. I'm just afraid they will hide in my monitor or cpu or any files or telephone or even my chair.

Hi Lt Dan,

I'm not well verse in bed bugs. I'm not in denial but lets assume there are bed bugs in my office table. Its been two months and they have not spread to my colleagues' area. I have only made minimum effort to spray bed bug sprays twice and I cant possibly spray the whole table or chair. Nobody is feeling any itch or bite. I've told them openly of my suspected problem too.

And that will bring me to ask where did they bed bugs appear? Should they originate from me, I would have been bitten lots at home. But so far only

19. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 11:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

People can receive bites and react quickly or hours later or days later or months later or show no reaction at all or very little reaction. In my opinion bite indication is a poor way to tell if you have bed bugs or not. Of course if you are showing extreme reactions than yes. In my case I did not show reactions until two months or so after my wife and dog greatly reacted, and who knows how long it took for them to display reactions.

What I did for my office is I bought a steamer and I stayed late and I steamed, I then followed with some Steri-Fab and Bedlam. I also dusted DE into certain areas.
    The combination of all of these tactics can help eliminate bed bugs plus the fact that you are pro-active is good for the spirit. I do recommend that you research tactics and products before you use them for you safety and the safety of others.
    Good luck with your Bed Bug War.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.