Can a CPAP machine get bed bugs?

(3 posts)
  1. dolphin2017

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 16:04:30
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently stayed at a hotel for 5 nights and discovered a live bed bug the last night. We had bed bugs before in our apartment 8 years ago so I know what a bed bug looks like. Because we were in Thailand, we didn't think waking up with bites were unusual given the mosquitos there. I had searched the hotel room but didn't find any signs upon check in. However, the headboard was mounted to the wall so it might have been hiding in there.

I unloaded all our laundry in our attached garage into garbage bags and immediately laundered on hot and dried on hot. Then bagged and sealed our luggage. Anything that was fabric has been laundered and all our toiletries and plastic items (kids toys, containers, pouches) have been rinsed in hot water in the bath tub and carefully inspected.

I have checked our iPhones and iPads but cannot see any points of entry for a bed bug.

This leaves our CPAP machine. It was next to the bed for all five nights. I have no idea how to treat it. I contacted a local pest management company that specializes in bed bugs and they felt that electronics infestations were rare and that I should thoroughly clean it. They said I could pay $250 for a heat chamber but felt it was unnecessary.

I have tried to do some research online. And it seems to show that anything is possible but unlikely.

What should I do? I obviously need CPAP. We have been home for 3 nights and I have been going without it. I still have it bagged up.

Has anyone actually seen a CPAP get bed bugs? Can I just keep checking the clear garbage bag for signs?

Am I being super paranoid? We were only there for 5 nights.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 16:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved out of an unresolved infestation in December. My husband uses a CPAP. He inspected it thoroughly and cleaned it as best as possible (meaning in all nooks & crannies that could be accessed).

So far, so good (and he used the CPAP right away after moving).

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 0:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

This has come up at least once here, but I am not saying it's happening in your case.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,526 posts in 41,334 topics over 126 months by 18,111 of 18,532 members. Latest: Pleasedontbebbs, pleezehelp, tarito