(8 posts)
  1. CRossi11

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 20:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All-

I'm hoping that after posting all these facts... someone will be able to point me in the right direction. They just don't add up to me.

Just before Columbus Day weekend, I started waking up with bites. Some were by themselves, some in a string. For a few weeks, I had random bites... most of the time just one. I didn't want to freak out about bed bugs, so I looked for other signs. I found no fecal matter/blood stains on my sheets, couldn't find a hiding place, etc. After a bit the bites lessened/I didn't notice them anymore so I thought I had freaked out over nothing. My boyfriend also sleeps over pretty consistently, and he had no bites.

Two weeks ago I found what looks to be a lot like an adult bed bug on my mattress pad. I had washed my sheets at the laundromat but hadn't made my bed (so sheets were on bed but not on made bed). It was 11:30 at night. I bought mattress protectors immediately, for both my mattress and box spring. Since then, I have had no bites (I think, although I am constantly itchy all over). None of the itchy spots have turned into bumps really, especially not the typical three bite pattern. I'm paranoid now- I check the sheets before I get into bed every night (which is never before midnight with my schedule, and is sometimes as late as 3 oclock)...I use a flashlight to look over my bed area/the floorboards behind my bed, etc. My dresser clothes have been washed and bagged, I haven't moved onto my closet because it just seems too big of feat for something that I doesn't know is there.

I wash my sheets pretty regularly, and keep white sheets on my bed. Yesterday I found blood spots (maybe) down by where my legs are, but again, no bites. And at this point, its anyone's guess as to whether I'm looking for things or they are actually there. I also found what could be fecal matter.. but it looks like it would smudge if I touched it...so I'm not sure it's actually that.

I've contacted my landlord and his first response was just to throw out my mattress, so clearly he's in the know. He's taking forever to get back to me about an exterminator, who happens to be his nephew. At this point, I guess I need to take action myself. Could anyone recommend an exterminator? Or someone who could help me identify my situation, exactly? I'd rather not spend tons of money (recent college grad=no money). Any help someone could send would be greatly appreciated. Help me actually sleep at night!

2. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 21:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Narrowing it down: You found a bug on your bed, right?

3. CRossi11

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 21:45:24
    #

Login to Send PM

haha well, yes.

I guess my question is more just because I found one bed bug, after washing my sheets, does that mean I have an infestation? I know its hard to tell based just off a forum and my facts, but how bad could my infestation be? If they're hiding somewhere, I certainly haven't found them yet. Should I go over my landlords head and get someone in here pronto, or wait and hope he follows through (with lots of pushing from me)? You'd think he'd be moving a lot faster considering his mom lives below us, but I can't stress enough that he seems to be unaware of the bed bug disaster that is NYC.

Does anyone have a suggestion for exterminators in the NYC area (Queens), or someone who I could at least talk to to discuss if I need to have someone come look at the apartment?

4. MsTabbyKats

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 21:53:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I just sent you a PM....these people are in Queeens

5. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 22:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

A "BED BUG" or a bug in your bed? Define "bed bug." Why do you state that it was indeed a Bed Bug?

SOmebody take over. I'm tired.

6. CRossi11

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 22:33:38
    #

Login to Send PM

That's exactly what my landlord said when I told him I found a bed bug on my bed. It's a bed bug. It looks like nothing else. I can work on getting a picture up... it'll probably be poor quality from my camera on my phone but it'll be better than nothing!

7. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 22:58:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Arright. You are in NYC. It's on the landlord. Hopefully you find that bit of news reassuring?

8. SearchandDestroy

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 23:10:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Well hopefully this will calm you down...if you have something, it's early and since you're not finding anything more at the moment...that is indeed good. But, given you are sure it was a bedbug, then a good thorough inspection is in order by a PCO. That will shed more light on the situation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,857 posts in 31,281 topics over 95 months by 13,530 of 14,307 members. Latest: nobedbugs, PolkaBox, bugsinarizona