Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Buying Used Electronics (other than laptops) - Is it safe???

(8 posts)
  1. leelee

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 3 2017 0:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I occasionally buy used electronics off of eBay (no laptops) but keyboards, mice, power cables, software, etc. --- I always check them for bed bugs --- how common are bed bugs in electronics?

2. F. Pazos

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 3 2017 4:27:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found them in electronics quite a few times... especially eggs. But only in big infestations

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 3 2017 7:34:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In those cases were the electronics near the bed and how do you treat them? I sometimes keep my cell on the beside table overnight as well as my laptop. Lately, I have been keeping my laptop a bit further away.

Also want to welcome you to the forum and thank you for participating. I've read a good many of your posts and all of them are spot on. It's good to see another pro here who takes their time to help people.

Richard

4. F. Pazos

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 4 2017 5:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Richard, your words are very apreciated.
    The phone should be ok, and laptots too when inside a cover, i found bugs and eggs sometimes in the usb and hdmi slots, never in the keyboard.
    I would post a photo of what i found a couple of days ago, but im writing while on the way to an inspection (that is what i usually do for the forum) and uploading and linking would be too much for me :)....
    Usually i will change the approach depending on what i find:
    - apply silica
    - open it and heat treat (be carefull not to go over 60 Celsius)
    - open it bag it with nuvan
    But usually i do nothing unless the infestation is big as before going inside electronics they would go somewhere else. On top, when the electronics are on, they tend to get hot and the bugs tend to migrate from them.
    Still, when dealing with them, always try to use a screwdriver and open them so whatever you do can reach any corner

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 5 2017 0:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos,
    When you have time, please post to this expert "Who's Who" thread.
    Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. leelee

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 5 2017 15:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am hoping someone can answer my question regarding buying used electronics off of eBay (non laptops) - is it relatively safe? I usually buy keyboards, mice, power cables, and software. My understanding is that it is highly unlikely, especially if you carefully check each item and take it apart as much as possible but still possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 5 2017 15:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

There are people here who unpack mailed packages outside. Who throw their clothes into the dryer on coming home whenever they've been to public places. Who don't sit on park benches and rarely go to movies. I'm sure they would treat used electronics bought on ebay. I'm not saying they're wrong, but I don't do any of those things and I also think most people don't. You have a life to lead.

Richard

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 5 2017 15:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed, the chance is always there, but the risk is minimal. It doesn't even cross my mind and I buy clothing (a higher risk item than electronics) on eBay on a regular basis.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,613 posts in 45,832 topics over 139 months by 20,182 of 20,985 members. Latest: bbuganxiety, Paseorent, allspiceberry143