Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Buying a new bed

(4 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 23:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So I will be buying a new bed with my tax return. I want to protect my new bed from future possible infestations. With a family as extensive as both me and my husbsnd, there is a chance to run into bed bugs again. Plus my mom stays in hotels all thw time and vists my place. She just shrugs off bed bugs (shes never had them...yet)

Anyways, do I only need to encase the box spring or should I encase the mattress as well?

Yes I know I'm beimg paranoid but i'd rather be able to deal with an infestation quicker than having to worry about them getting into th box spring too.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 0:59:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Encasements cannot prevent you from getting bed bugs. It's important to take precautions or teach your mother to do so, to avoid that possibility.

They may make it easier to spot bed bugs if you get them, and can prevent harbouring in the box spring/damage to the covers of the mattress and box.

There are arguments for and against, so I uggest reading the encasements FAQ for more on those: http://Bedbugger.com/bed-bug-encasements/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 2:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes i'd only be putting one on the box spring to avoid it getting infested. I understand encasements cannot prevent bed bugs. It would just be easier to spot them if any happened to hitch a ride into my home.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 7:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As my hotel and domestic customers find, encasement's are not needed when you get into the routines and disciplines of proactive monitoring because bed bugs don't "get into" the box spring if you have provided them with a more optimal home.

Its also more cost effective and less likely to rip and need replacing.

I am sorry if that comes across as me being commercial but the reason is because it saves money, especially if you do end up introducing bed bugs and thus want to replace the encasement because it is marked. Its a lot more logical to just replace the disposable device instead.

By all means shoot me if you disagree but it makes interesting maths when you do the sums.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,392 posts in 42,999 topics over 129 months by 18,867 of 19,425 members. Latest: Bugbitehelp, laurenashley0726, kamsd