(7 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2008 13:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you agree?

http://bedbugger.com/2008/12/11/why-building-managers-must-notify-residents-that-their-building-has-bed-bugs/

I'd welcome your response in the comments on that article!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. sereneseek

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2008 14:19:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Indeed! When I notified my resident property manager about my discovery, she told me she would not tell the other tenants because she didn't want to "panic" them. I feel if that would have been done this would not have dragged out as long as it had. Maybe they would have realized they needed to Vikane right away rather than 3 months later. Incidentally, I was just shushed by our Property Supervisor (apparently she is not familiar with the First Amendment of the Constitution) for asking tenants if they were still being bitten. Now they are backpedaling.

In addition, one of my neighbors who had an infestation has moved (b/c of the bedbugs). The building manager is getting the apartment ready to rent out. I'm sure they will not tell the new tenant about the bedbugs (they are still there). I keep watching for prospective tenants so that I can follow them to their cars to let them know; however, I can't keep vigil all day and night. At the very least I can register the address on the Bedbug Registry.

In that same vein, the word about the Bedbug Registry needs to get out so that more people will check it before renting an apartment.

Thanks for this.

3. vampiremenionprey

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 22 2008 3:01:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with this. Matter of fact I agree with it so much that I think it should be made law that landlords should have to inform tenants of every building even if it is only one apartment in that complex...I know my neighbors visit each other a lot and this is an obvious way of spreading them.

Not to mention the parents of my complex who let their children play by the dumpsters and jump on the torn up infested mattresses. EWWWW Obviously the tenant of those children got them.

I would probably have been spared some grief from a third run in with them if the LL had informed me that he was treating 3 of my conjoined neighbors a month prior to me telling him I noticed I had them again.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 22 2008 3:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

There was a lawsuit in Chicago (Presidential Towers) which related to the problem of tenants not being notified.

Here's a post from 3/07 about this case.

5. vampiremenionprey

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 22 2008 3:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

About two weeks before my lower neighbors adjacent to my door moved in is when I noticed that they were treating my three conjoined neighbors for bed bugs. They also treated the vacant apartment which has been rented out. About the time of our second treatment my husband took it upon himself to inform our neighbor that the complex has bed bugs.

Not that I didn't think the gentleman and his young daughter didn't have the right to know, but I didn't think it was our place to go around telling people that the "complex" was infested...even though I’ve seen the list of apartments with my own eyes and I’ve heard the stories from the maintenance man.
    However my husband brought this man into our apartment after chatting him up for a bit and showed him what he was up against. Mind you this was also before I cleaned all of the fecal spots off of the wall, and while we had/ve bags upon bags of clothes in our living room and dining area with no furniture except for a card table. The man's response...."OH SHIT!"
    He hasn't spoken to us since, and the LL/office "claim" that we're the only four in our 16 apartment building that have them...I'm sure word got back to them from the new tenant, because according to my husband, he was livid and grossed out, and just dropped over a grand on deposit, first and last months rent on a year lease.....

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 22 2008 12:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My building doesn't even tell tenants in the building that we have bedbugs, let alone tell the new tenants moving in. There is a cone of silence around the whole topic that is helping bedbugs spread even more than they would naturally. When people finally realize that bedbugs are here, how difficult they can be to treat, how easily they can spread, how much anquish they can cause, and what a terrible cover-up there has been about the whole subject, it will open everyone's eyes. We're just ahead of everyone.

7. itchfactor

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 17 2009 14:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

My building doesn't tell them either. I have watched as people move in and out without knowing that is even an issue.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,370 posts in 28,325 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter