Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bugs that resemble bed bugs?

(9 posts)
  1. Absurdity101

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2008 22:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Are there any bugs that bear a striking resemblance to bedbugs? If so, which?

That's the main question I have, and would love answers to. But if you want more detail, read on:

My city apartment got infested with bedbugs about two months ago. During the treatments I've been staying at my parents house in the burbs. I've been supremely cautious about staying with them -- in fact, even developed a ridiculous ritual where I would strip outside their house, immediately shower upon entering and then just wear my mom's clean clothes while there.

But I've been paranoid as hell. I've just found a bug that looks a lot like a bedbug, but not QUITE. In the past, at my city apartment, I've been able to identify them immediately. There's never been any percentage of doubt when I find one -- I know exactly what it is. But this one I just found at my parents house, I don't have the same feeling about.

I could just be in denial, but I want to confirm for myself one way or the other.
    The color, the banded body look like a bedbug. But it's larger than any bedbug I've ever seen, and not as flat (I speculated it might be "engorged" and squeezed it -- no blood came out. Some white stuff came out).

The main difference is that, unlike with the bedbugs I've seen, there's not a distinct "head part" that juts out of the main body. This thing is just one solid hulk...the upper tip is simply rounded.

It looks an awful lot like the smallest version of a roach in this picture:

http://www.aztecpest.com/images/pests_am_roach.jpg

Anyone have any information for me? I'm freaking out.

2. Absurdity101

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2008 22:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S. Just to add some humor to this: one "plus" of having bedbugs is I've become much more knowledgeable about insects and more interested in entomology. Well, I guess that's not necessarily a "plus" but at least I'm learning, right?! I'd prefer to, you know, take a class or read a book, but obsessively poring over pictures of insects on the Internet is just as good, huh?

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2008 22:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds to me like you have found a roach.

Can you post a picture of the bug?

Bat bugs look just like bed bugs, except they have longer hairs on the plate behind their head. You need some magnification to be able to see the difference.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2008 23:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2008 4:34:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You might want to have a look for pictures of confused flour beetles. We get a lot of them on the postal identification service. They can appear in properties in large numbers and without magnification can appear like bed bugs.

A good quality image is really needed though if you want us to give you anything more than a guess.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  6. kjdrga

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2008 9:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Help....I found these dead all over the carpet near the head on my bed but know they aren't BB's they have antennas and their body seems to be more oval and long than the pear shape that I see in my bb's....can anyone help identify....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29655606@N08/

thanks

7. buggyinastoria

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2008 12:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

to me those look like small coaches...? but im no expert ...

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2008 13:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

They are Cockroaches

9. kjdrga

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2008 15:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you think the roaches are after the BB's? I've never seen them in the room before this week (I've had 3 treatments for BB's) and then all of a sudden I see them all over the carpet?

Didn't know roaches like to hang out in a bare/uncluttered bedroom...

I officially hate bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,479 posts in 29,271 topics over 90 months by 12,628 of 19,873 members. Latest: advisemeplease, litetide, endlessbb54