Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

bugs likely scattered but infestation light, should I treat whole home?

(7 posts)
  1. destroyallbedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 1:40:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should treat the entire house or just the living room, and two bedrooms where the bugs have been seen? I had someone move in to help pay bills, but they unpacked all their boxes in various parts of my house, so the BB's are likely scattered (which severely backfired because they have a low income and can't help pay for the damage they caused unless paid in small payments, and they don't react to the bites so they did not know they had them apparently). Orkin has quoted me $875 to treat just the 3 rooms where people stay for long periods of time, using 2 treatments 14 days apart, one initial treatment, and one followup for the eggs(which I agreed)with a 30 day guarantee, do you think this is fair? Has anyone else had experience with this company? Also, is it a good idea to have a BB dog come through after the 2 treatments to make sure the house is clear (this costs $200), does anyone have experience with the canines? Thank you guys so much for reading, and if you could answer any one question, I would be very grateful.

2. mp7ski

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 5:31:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My experience with orkin was pretty bad. They used a aerosol can of alpine that caused them to spread. I ended up having to treat myself which did a hell of a lot better than what they did. They came 3 times, yet when I treated, I watched an adult crawl out from a Crack in the wall where I sprayed alive as can be. It died due to my spraying but honestly I'd not use them or at least see what products they will use.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. HifromChi

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 9:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with the above, Orkin is terrible. I'd search for someone that has a proven success record at eliminating bed bugs or you'll just be wasting your hard earned money.

Yelp is your friend, that's where I went to do a search for a good PCO that deals with BB's regularly, the reviews were completely accurate of the PCO I used. They kicked the BB's arses into oblivion. $600 for 2 visits with heat treatment, spray and powder. Done.

4. destroyallbedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 2:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the responses. This experience is so stressful, but I am thinking about calling Orkin and cancelling even though I already paid $150 deposit of my $875 treatment and finding a more reputable company in dealing with these bugs. Has anyone had a good experience with Orkin?Also what state do you live in if you did? Thanks you guys.

5. HifromChi

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 9:37:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I lost confidence in Orkin when I was using them for general bug control, I have the occasional centipede, spider and beetle so I was using their services every 3 months to control their populations. They misidentified weevil larvae and told me I had a carpet beetle infestation, even though the larvae was being found in places like cabinets near food and such. I figured this out on my own by looking up what kind of larvae is usually found in kitchen cabinets Then I found a few sowbugs, but at the time didn't know what they were, they told me they were baby centipedes. Wrong again. I figured out what they were on my own by comparing pictures on Google. So I definitely had zero confidence in them when it came to something as serious as bedbugs so I looked for someone more knowledgeable, so glad I did.

The people that work for Orkin don't seem to know any more about insects than the average Joe. They just point and spray. They use the same insecticide mixture for everything and all that will do in regards to bedbugs is disperse them into every corner of your home, if it's not the right stuff. Good luck to you, hope it all works out.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 19:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is Orkin and Terminex vary a great deal depending on location. There used to be a great expert here who worked for Orkin. So I would be wary of generalizing about these large companies too much.

That said, treating the entire home is the usual method.

A 30 day guarantee is nice, but people don't always see bed bugs or react to bites, so you'd be relying on monitors and inspections to be sure they were gone.

Dogs vary. If you hire one, make sure the handler visually verifies all alerts, rather than relying on what the dog tells him/her. See our FAQ on bed bug dogs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. destroyallbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 3:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys, I will keep that in mind. I decided to go with a decently reviewed heat person with a 6 month warranty, but it costs almost $500 more than Orkin. I am hoping this works out

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd