Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bugs at work!? Not getting anywhere with boss

(5 posts)
  1. Retailbuggin

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 18:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I work in a retail shop and I sit near the front to ring people as they shop and greet people entering. I have been getting mysterious hives on my arms and back of legs whilst sitting in one particular chair that stays up front. (There are four)
    I do not get any hives when I'm not working. I went to the allergist and they ruled out any food allergies or common allergic reactions to cats and dogs, dander, etc.
    I told the doctor that I get hives when I sit in a chair at work and when he saw my latest ones on my arm, he said it looked like bedbug bites!

I promptly went home and researched all I could. I bought casings for my mattress and box spring, examined everything in the room from top to bottom! Nothing!

I looked through my clothes bins and found a tiny bug in just my work clothes bin! My gym clothing bin was clean. Bought two pesticides, Ortho and Hot Shot. Sprayed corners and crevices, vacuumed like mad! Sprinkled DE around the edges of the room.

Quarantined my entire wardrobe in new bins. Threw out all unnecessary clutter and my entire bedroom set.
    Put the bed on lifts and dusted the legs with DE.

I told my boss what the doctor said and my boss told me that he would talk to the landlord and see if the upstairs apartments had bugs. He was incredulous that it could absolutely not be bugs in his shop.

He said that the landlord told him there is no problem, there was an inspection upstairs and nothing turned up.

Nobody had examined our shop! I would like to examine the furniture myself but I cannot, as customers are constantly in the shop and the manager thinks I am crazy.

What can I do? I have taken to bagging all my personal items like my purse so as not to bring any more home!

2. Retailbuggin

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 20:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

It should also be said that the tenants upstairs are undocumented workers from another country who do not speak any English. The building was recently sold to a new landlord that plans on evicting the tenants and"bombing" as they do have roaches. The old landlord said that there were 10 mattresses on the floor and she could not track who was staying as relatives, friends etc. come and go as they please.
    It is possible that my manager is aware of a problem and believes that bombing the building might solve the problem.

3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 21:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you maybe roll that chair into a bathroom or out of sight and quickly search? If you find bugs you can put them in a baggy and show him.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. Retailbuggin

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 22:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 1 hour ago  » 
    Can you maybe roll that chair into a bathroom or out of sight and quickly search? If you find bugs you can put them in a baggy and show him.

I think I might be able to inspect them when he is out of the building but that is not often. If I could find a bug then it would prove it.

5. Retailbuggin

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 13:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have taken to switching chairs and so far, so good. No bites. I am still waiting for my boss to leave so I can inspect the chairs with a bright light (from my phone).
    If I could prove it, then we could handle the problem.
    I'm so frustrated.
    I have been bringing a plastic bag with clean clothes that I can change into before I leave to go home. My purse is in a tied plastic bag all day. I'm sure he has noticed but said nothing.

I can't tell coworkers because it is unsubstantiated and if I am wrong, I could be liable if we lose business. I need my job!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,819 posts in 43,335 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78