Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

BuggininBrooklyn's questions

(3 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 14 2013 1:24:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I am posting this for someone who left it as a comment on the blog today, in hopes s/he will get more feedback here:

BuggininBrooklyn asked,

1 BugginInBrooklyn May 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm [edit]
    I’m a recent bedbug victim in Brooklyn. Over the past week I had noticed mysterious bites on my body, at first isolated and then in clusters. After doing some research, and because I live in NYC I confirmed it was most likely bedbugs, although there was not a single bug in my room. However, I expressed my concern to my roommates and upon inspection we found the infestation in one of their rooms, clearly had been in there for a while because there was a good amount, however he had no signs of bites. In the other room looked not a single bug like mine, and she had no bites either.

We IMMEDIATELY notified our landlord (yesterday) and he was NOT happy. He agreed to get professional help immediately, and cover the costs, but this morning on the phone was being completely irrational and telling me that we needed to throw out every last one of our belongings, pieces of clothing, and furniture. He self-admittedly had never dealt with this before, and therefore I think he was unsure of the facts and procedures. After the exterminator came by he confirmed we could MOST DEFINITELY have everything treated, and treat our clothes in the washer/dryer… The landlord is still arguing and even said he wants us to move out after the fumigation because he thinks we’re going to bring them back, and the fumigation is too expensive to keep doing. HELLO WE DIDN’T ASK FOR THEM AND WE’RE ALL DISGUSTED AND WILLING TO DO ANYTHING TO GET RID OF THEM, ME ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I’M THE ONLY ONE SHOWING BITES.

We are on a month-to-month lease, but I feel that this is an unfair reason to ask us to move out, this is NYC and this has been a HUGE issue in our particular neighborhood of Brooklyn over the past 2 years. This is an isolated incident, we have lived here three years and never had a single problem and have been paying our rent on time, and don’t think we should be penalized for this as they could have come from ANYWHERE. The exterminator seemed confident they could be rid of after one treatment, and hasn’t even had a chance to investigate the other units of the building, so we’re automatically being blamed.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Do we have a case to fight eviction or is this a viable reason to kick someone out?! I’m most concerned because we have a really good deal on our unit, so having to move will result in AT LEAST a +$200/person or cause us to move further out into a much smaller space. PLEASE HELP!!!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 14 2013 1:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggin,

My first recommendation would be to call Met Council on Housing. They're a non-profit in NYC that gives tenants advice on their rights, and they really seem to know their stuff. Find information on their Help Line here.

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 14 2013 4:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

First, sorry to hear the bad news. Unfortunately, he can ask you to move out at any time because you're on a month to month. If you had a lease you would have more ground to stand on.

Some land lords learn things the hard way. I'm treating an apartment building now that's had one tenant with bugs for over 9 months. We are now dealing with migration to other units from the original source. The land lord did the right thing months back - He hired a professional but the problem is the tenant. They continued to have a problem and didn't tell anyone. They were spraying chemicals themselves, which beside typical behavior with an infestation this long, will often spread the bugs.

I wouldn't trust an exterminator thats promising the world in one treatment. I think I'm the best exterminator (yeah I said exterminator ) on the planet but I always come back a second time to re-inspect and treat with follow up products.

Your land lord is crazy to think he can escape this from the future with new tenants. Truth is, he could rent to people who already have Bed Bugs. Ones that are trying to move away from their problem or they can even pick it up in a moving truck with new tenants. More time is needed to further educate the land lord and that should come from the company he's hired.

When things are done properly you shouldn't have to toss any furniture. At least the guy made that point to the land lord. But with all being said - the bigger picture needs to be determined. > Do any other tenants have a problem that he doesn't know about< ? Inspections of the surrounds should be conducted asap and before treatment takes place in your unit. You can't play the game without a game plan or make promises of single treatment success without a clue to whats going on around you. After all, your problem started where a roommate that didn't know because of non bite reactions. Or, how about the rent is soooo good, another tenant doesn't want to bring his/her current problem to the attention of the land lord and is treating the apartment themselves?

With all that said .... try and get the PCO on your side to help discuss the facts. Don't be discouraged and do speak to the land lord yourself if the PCO doesn't do the right thing. It's been my experience to see companies treat tenants like second rate citizens when they aint paying the bill.

Stay strong, focused, and positive ...... Best of luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47