Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bug Zip and Paktite, and Dispair

(13 posts)
  1. hoo2677

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 1:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I was checking out the Bug Zip garment and luggage bags. Has anyone tried or used that, and can that be used in a packtite?

Fluctuating between hope and hopelessness. Think i saw and captured on tape a very very small nymph scampering across a curtain rod in broad daylight - in my kitchen. I may ask one of you PCO's if I can mail it to you for id. I would be so happy to hear it's not a bb, but it looks very much like one with a magnifier cause that's what you need to see it. Thinking about winning against something that small just threw me into a full blown despair on Sunday. This, after my 7th very detailed treatment from a wonderful PCO I finally found.

Feeling a little better today, but still feel a setback in my state of mind, fidgety again, overly alert, paranoid.....sigh..I want to be "normal" again.

Peace Out,

Portland, OR

Thanks all.

2. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 10:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have a decent digital camera it may have a macro function (usually a flower icon) that would allow you to take a close picture of the bug and post it here. If the picture is clear it can usually be identified, or at the very least ruled as a bed bug or not.

Sincerely,

Sean
    Entomologist/Pest Professional

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 13:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

hoo2677,

At least one person has put XL Ziploc bags through the packtite and said it was fine. I would not do this with BugZip (which is made of different materials) unless I checked with the manufacturer.

We will have a FAQ soon on the BugZip. I have been looking at some samples, and I hope we will soon have reports from entomologists on them too.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. BugZipAdam

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 16:51:52
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't tested BugZip in a Packtite yet. However, we have tested BugZip in a dryer for 1 1/2 hours. BugZip is fine to put in the dryer if your purpose is to try to kill any bugs on or around it.

You won't be able to reuse the BugZip after putting it through intense heat and tumbling action from a dryer. The vinyl sides start to stick together and the zipper coils up a bit. When placing in dryer, make sure the BugZip is empty and unzipped all the way for best results. Adding other items to the load is fine, just not inside the BugZip.

Sincerely,
    Adam Greenberg
    Bug Zip

5. Adele

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 22:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome Adam

your product looks interesting - can you tell us if you will be testing it with a packtite?

A Packtite does not typically get as hot as a dryer - although i've clocked mine at 152F - but there is no agitation motion like a dryer so perhaps if the bag does melt a bit it can cool down without affects

let us know as it would be interesting

6. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 21 2009 0:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I put one of those thick plastic zip bags that a comforter comes in (queen size) and it got really soft and kind of hot by the time I took it out of the packtite, but amazingly it returned to it's previous thick state once it cooled down.

7. BugZipAdam

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 21 2009 1:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, we'll test using BugZip in a Packtite and report the results.

Sincerely,
    Adam
    BugZip

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 21 2009 1:32:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the idea just because giant ziplock bags can be a pain in the butt.

Jim

9. Adele

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 21 2009 1:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Adam - have you sent your product to any of the entomologists that post product reviews here?

Sean Rollo is an ento (aka The bedbugresource) and usually thoroughly tests out new products and posts reviews for us

If you have not reached out to him - or some others - perhaps you may want to consider it .

some of the folks on the board like myself won't ususally buy new products unless he or others have posted reviews on the products first

it's like the "Good Housekeeping" seal of approval if you will

10. BugZipAdam

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 21 2009 2:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much for the interest and recommendation. We're definitely working with entomologists to get as much feedback as possible.--Adam (BugZip)

11. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2009 9:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Adam sent us some Bugzip bags to test in packtite and we have not found any problems heating them up in a packtite. When we tested them empty, they will slightly adhere to themselves, but they do not melt together. In fact, after a few minutes of cooling they separate and you can't tell they have been heated up at all. We noticed no issues with the zipper, etc. If items are inside the Bugzip, we do not get any sticking issues as the sides cannot touch and we do not get any melting or sticking to the metal shelf of the packtite unit.

12. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 5 2009 22:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I had a chance to test and review the BugZip product. It is designed as an enclosure for people to put clean, non-infested items into (i.e. while traveling, as a proactive measure at home, or during the treatment process for bed bugs). It offers up good protection.

Sean
    Entomologist/Pest Professional

13. never_again

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 12:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Sean,

I would like to read the review, can't seem to find it... can you link to it? My main quesiton about the product is the zipper... don't bedbugs like zippers?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,211 posts in 40,861 topics over 124 months by 17,884 of 18,268 members. Latest: stinger92193, e1617, Riles