Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Bug proof chair?

(16 posts)
  1. Out Of Options

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 19:14:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I do a lot of online stuff, school, chatting, etc. so I am always in my chair. Today I found several BBs under the chair I was in (resulting in a lot of welts on the back of my legs) and I freaked out and tossed it outside. For now I am using a very uncomfortable metal chair.

Are there any BB proof chairs, or will I need to bust out the double sided tape?

2. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 19:42:35
    #

Login to Send PM

O,

I'm sorry; that really sucks. It sounds like, from your earlier posts, they can still be lured to you while you're sleeping (which is what you do want, unfortunately, so you can get them to cross poison). So if you can get the bugs OUT (as long as you're not re-introducing them on the clothes you're wearing, though, and it sounds like you've got a lot of them:( ), then keeping them off with the whole legs-in-mineral-oil-filled-cups (or some variety like Vaseline around the legs, etc.) might be an option.

I never had any positive ID of bugs in my living room, but my furniture had all been hand-me-downs I'd had for like 10 yrs and was nothing I was attached to. So I bought a whole Martha Steward metal patio set (kind of decorative, actually -- nicer than the crap I had!) and just encased the cushions. Trickier to climb and few places to hide. I ordered it on sale from Home Depot for something like $200 and free delivery. All of it was already assembled. It even came with a glass-top coffee table! I think it was called the Pacifica collection or something. I just put throws over the cushions and launder them once every few wks now that I think (knock wood) I'm bug free! (Though this is bad, actually, bc my kitties have had a bad case of the fleas).

Not that you should be spending money right now! But it's something to think about for the future when you do get to move out and possibly live a slightly bug-resistant lifestyle and aren't made of $!

3. Out Of Options

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 19:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I will look into something like that, so metal chairs are helpful?

Vaseline/mineral oil on my legs and maybe the legs of the chair, too? Just making sure I'm reading this right... :p

4. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 19:57:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I hadn't thought about on your legs; I'd meant on the chairs legs -- but maybe(?)

It just seems that the slicker the material (plastic, metal, glass), the harder time they have climbing. You also want something w/o nooks and crannies and gaps and holes. Depending on how those are, you can puff DE inside a hollow metal furniture tube first just in case and duct tape over it.

5. Out Of Options

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 21:11:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Alright, will do. Thank you TRE.

6. SearchandDestroy

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 21:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

That's exactly what my husband suggested for our TV room - lawn furniture! Great idea honey...and we sat in that set at Home Depot..but we never got around to it, oh well...guess we'll shop in the spring when we're feeling more inspired. Right now furniture shopping feels as exciting as say..getting a root canal! I'm going zen all the way....

7. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 22:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

duct tape over the gaps in metal furniture. genius!

thank you reluctant.

as to out of options...I have been sitting in plastic/metal chairs isolated for months now. Don't matter, they find you. In fact, I'd say your safest bet might be something upholstered that can be vacuumed and isn't so cheap it has a thousand hidey holes., but not something thick. What you want to look for is something that is easy to treat, as they will get into anything. Plastic/metal furniture with hollow legs and a million screw holes you can't get access to are a nightmare. But they are cheap if you are in this battle for the long haul and know you will be tossing it.

good luck-
    Amy

peace-
    Amy

8. SearchandDestroy

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 22:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

How about just some folding chairs that you can packtite regularly? We also considered getting out our beach chairs..but first I need to retrieve them from the black canvas oven.

9. Out Of Options

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 0:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Money is limited for me, and I have reptiles so I can't exactly treat the chair often. I will probably just use lawn furniture that is plastic and no screws etc.

I'll need to look into packtite.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 1:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

If your feet touch the floor, then I don't think it matters what you do to the chair, they can climb up your legs.

The main attraction for me in a chair design would be whether they were easy to detect and remove.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. Out Of Options

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 9:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Indeed, Nobugsonme. However for the most part I do sit with my legs crosslegged or on the chair itself, unless I am just plain tired.

12. daretolive2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 10:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear O 'o O:

I just read your post, though I haven't been on this site for a while (sigh of relief) and wanted to offer my two cents about metal.

The very first bb I caught was in a large, clean metal pot that I had left overnight on the stove. I remember coming into the kitchen early one morning, and for a moment, I thought I heard a faint scratching sound. I was correct, I was hearing something. To my amazement, the sound was coming from a bb on the bottom of this large, clean pot on top of the stove. The bb was struggling to get out, and the sound was it's pinchers against the metal! But how on earth did it get there?

Someone from the Board of Health said it had probably jumped off me! But that isn't possible, the pot was clean when I left it, and the scratching sound was already happening when I entered the room in the morning.

Well....my other metal story is this. Sometime after I had two treatments to my apartment......and had cleaned up from all that, I noticed a small, dead bb, in the crevice of a metal chair I have for my workbench. The seat of this metal chair has a center part that is pressed wood attached with bolts. The bb must have dried up from the treatment, become smaller and moved out from under this pressed wood area. So, here it is, a metal chair, and still it found a place to hide.

I like the idea of placing a mineal oil cup beneath the legs, that is very ingenious (sp?). However, I never did anything like that because my bb activity was always behind the scenes, I never saw them (except for the one in the pot) only their evidence.

So, I just wanted to add my support and encouragement to you. If you know anyone who could help me identify a bug I found, could you please let me know? I'd appreciate it.

It takes guts to cope with this bb problem. I wish everyone the best.

Sincerely yours,
    Dare To Live

Out Of Options - 14 hours ago  » 
    I do a lot of online stuff, school, chatting, etc. so I am always in my chair. Today I found several BBs under the chair I was in (resulting in a lot of welts on the back of my legs) and I freaked out and tossed it outside. For now I am using a very uncomfortable metal chair.
    Are there any BB proof chairs, or will I need to bust out the double sided tape?

13. bug-tired

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 10:19:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I was also getting bit in my computer chair and found a couple on it and a shell casing in the desk drawer. It's just to the side right now until I decide what to do with it - the PCO checked it and said there is no infestation in here (the office), that I probably just carried a couple in with me.

I'm using a wooden kitchen chair sitting on top of a couple white pillowcases and check frequently, until I have time to come up with a better solution. In the meantime, I'm careful to take my pj's off and leave them in the bed before coming to sit at the PC.

14. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 13:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

any folding chair I have had is too long, when folded, for the packtite specifications.

I agree with nobugs...get a chair that is easy to treat which means no gaps vs. harder for them to climb. They WILL find their way in there.

Amy

15. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 14:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The Martha Stewart set (again something like $200 total, more long-term for low maintenance when you move if you want/can) I mentioned doesn't have crevices in the metal. There are these vinyl (basically plastic) straps that the cushions go on, but the places where they loop around the frame are pretty big, so it's easy to spray rubbing alcoho/H2O mixture in or steam (I bought a $30 clothing steamer from Target that's pretty good; I can go see what the brand was).

The cushions are vaccuumable (as Beth/Amy suggested, unless/until you decide to encase them). I generally sit on these "Indian style" too (sorry; don't know what the p.c. term is these days; that's what my kindergarten teacher called it back when we were stupider about these things! ) You can put the legs in whichever poison.

Parenthetically, (for Amy), I hope you're not having to camp out on plastic chairs at your new place:( Hope things are better.

Reluctant E

16. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 16:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, I am square against plastic chairs and stools after this experience. I don't care if there are a thousand bugs crawling on me, at least let me be in a soft chair.

2 more weeks.

thanks E!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.