bug identification [a: pubic louse, crab louse]

(11 posts)
  1. xrokos

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 17:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have recently visited a dermatologist about some bites in a shape of a dotted line along the scrotum.She told me that these were bed bugs bites. She prescribed me a lotion and an ointment and told me to spray my mattress and wash my clothes.
    Today i found near this area a bug attached on my skin. Do you know what kind of bug this is?

2. xrokos

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 18:00:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Pics posted again!
    pic 1
    pic2
    pic3

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 19:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Find another Dermatologist. Preferably one who doesn't practice pest control on the side.

Looks like pubic lice to me.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 21:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ-- Good share! I changed it to the "long link" so it would embed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 22:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely lice.

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 22:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I would let your dermatologist and his/her office know. That's some serious malpractice. I've noticed that NYC doctors seem to be really confident to make that call. A number of peoe have told me that their infestations were diagnosed by their doctor. :-/

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 0:44:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear xrokos,

Unfortunately, your critter appears to be pubic lice or Pthirus pubis (aka crab lice or crabs). These guys pretty much would be found on you in the pubic region. Ointments prescribed for the treatment may also be availabel OTC (over the counter). Basically, these are applied topically and contain insecticides in a soap/shampoo base.

Sorry you're dealing with this, hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  8. xrokos

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 3:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your quick response. I am actually shocked that i have found a lice. I was convinced that those bites were from bed bugs because the marks were in a shape of a straight line. Can lice cause that?
    Is there a way that i was bitten by bed bugs and i now also have pubic lice? The thing is that i do care for my personal hygiene, take showers daily, and the place where i live is new so i couldn't imagine that i would have such problem!
    A doctor prescribed me a benzyl benzoate 25% lotion, will this lotion work?

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 10:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope, that's just for the itching. If you went to school in the US and dealt with headlice, it's the same sort protocol and over the counter meds. (RID is what my mom used.) Pubic lice are related to head lice.

I would speak with you doctor about the symptoms of pubic lice. She or He may not have recognized the problem since they were focused on BB and not crabs.

If your skin is reactive, it will react when bitten. Any insect that walks as it bites produces a line of bites. That's why a line of bites isn't really proof of BB.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 11:06:58
    #

Login to Send PM

The specimen is a pubic louse (lice is plural). Pthirus pubis is the creature you found (or it found you). It's an insect that is normally transferred by close contact between people. It doesn't live off the host and then climb on (like a bed bug) to feed. The insect order is Phthiraptera. It's not a spelling error, but that's how the spelling is. Arthropoda: Insecta: Phthiraptera: Anoplura: Pthiridae.

Just a little background in the nomenclature of this insect (from phthiraptera.info)
    The Pubic Louse was first described and named in1758, by Linnaeus as Pediculus pubis. In 1815 Leach established the genus Pthirus, and included therein a single species; Pediculus pubis Linnaeus. It is not clear if Leach, or the type-setter, dropped the first "h" in the Greek word Phthirus. Two years later Leach referred to this species as "Phthirus" pubis (Linnaeus). From that time to the present, the generic name has been spelled both ways. However, the generic name was fixed in 1958 as Pthirus (Hemming, 1958, in "Official List of Generic Names in Zoology," Opinion 104). Thus the binomial name for the Pubic Louse is Pthirus pubis (Linnaeus, 1758). No other scientific names are acceptable. "Linnaeus" is placed within parentheses indicating that this was not the original genus in which the author placed this species. This genus, with two species (P. pubis, and P. gorillae) is the only genus in the family Pthiridae, the family name being based upon the generic name. Confusion has been perpetuated by the now common use of the ordinal name Phthiraptera for lice. The names of orders need not be based on the names of lower taxa, thus Haeckel (1896) was free to use the properly spelled Phthirus as the root Phthiraptera for the insect order containing all lice.

Your doctor shouldn't be giving out pest control info, especially if the pest species has been incorrectly determined. Don't identify insect species by 3 bites in a row. Sometimes this louse species is known from eyelashes and from under arms in the hairy region.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  11. bittenbitter

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 3:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs aren't typically known to bite down there anyway.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.