Bug ID - Possible bed bugs [a: cockroach nymph, carpet beetle]

(7 posts)
  1. Jamm9137

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 3:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, all. I'll just start out with the story.

I stayed at a strange guy's house on airbnb and woke up covered in bed beg bites, in the pattern of three or so in multiple locations on my body. Since then, I've been scared to go home because I'm afraid I'm going to bring bed bugs home with me.

I threw out my luggage and my backpack. I put all my clothes in trash bags and have been washing/drying them on hot. But the bugs could be in my car or in my workspace at work.

Now it seems like I find a new bug that sort of looks like the pictures I've seen of bedbugs.

The bugs in the first and last set of pictures were found in/right next to my hotel bed. The middle set was found in my car, and i found 2 or 3 more than what I had in the pictures.

Please, please, please help. This has been damn near the worst week of my life.

Also, these are some of the bites I got from the airbnb.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 6:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you actually see bed bugs in the place you stayed? "Bites" or any skin lesions are not indicative of bites or bed bugs. A pattern of 3 is not a qualifying item. The insects pictured are of cockroach nymph and carpet beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Jamm9137

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 13:53:56
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 7 hours ago  » 
    Did you actually see bed bugs in the place you stayed? "Bites" or any skin lesions are not indicative of bites or bed bugs. A pattern of 3 is not a qualifying item. The insects pictured are of cockroach nymph and carpet beetle.

Thank you so much for the response.

No, I did not see bed bugs in the place I stayed. The day after I woke up with the bites, the host bug-bombed the place. After, we checked under the mattress, and I found a few black spots but not the extreme patterns/blood spots I've seen on Google Images.

I have about 8 bites on my arm/elbow, 4 on each foot/ankle, a few on my back, 3 down my right side. Most have that linear pattern of 3-4 that seems indicative of bed bugs.

The only bug I've seen crawling near me at night is the one you described as being a cockroach nymph.

I can post some more pictures of the bites when I get home.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 16:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately total release aerosols or bug bombs are not recommended.

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 18:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Are there mosquitoes where you are? Its a possibility.

As Lou said bug bombs.pretty much do nothing for bed bugs and can just make any that might be present scatter.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  6. Jamm9137

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 18:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

To make a long story short, I stayed the night somewhere else right after he bug-bombed the room, but I stupidly left my luggage and clothes. I just couldn't believe they were bedbugs.

Above are some more pictures. The bites are mostly healed now, but you can still see the pattern. It got that hard, swollen, itchy feeling too. From everything I've read that's definitely bedbugs.

I am utterly terrified that I'm carrying them around. I'll obviously never go back to that guy's house again; I just don't want to carry them home or to someone I care about's home.

How can I know for sure whether or not they're in my car? What is the probability I carried them with me?

Also, I don't believe I've experienced new bites since the last exposure, which was Thursday before I woke up.

7. Jamm9137

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 18:40:35
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 34 minutes ago  » 
    Are there mosquitoes where you are? Its a possibility.
    As Lou said bug bombs.pretty much do nothing for bed bugs and can just make any that might be present scatter.

I don't think so. Don't know how a mosquito could bite me that many times in that many different places all in somewhat linear way and with covers on. But maybe, I don't know.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,569 posts in 40,567 topics over 124 months by 17,753 of 18,114 members. Latest: Brokegradstudent, onibuka, NewBug