Please help me identify this cast skin [a: could be silverfish]

(4 posts)
  1. Annie12163

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 11:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this on top of my bed on my sheet near my feet when I awoke. It is approximately 5mm long. I have never had an issue with bed bugs, but I did have three itchy "bites" about a week ago near my waist (two close together and one an inch away). I assumed the "bites" were possibly from a spider or a bit of poison ivy (I did have poison ivy on my hands at that time). But now finding this exoskeleton, I am concerned. Especially since I bought a new foam mattress topper about 1 1 /2 weeks ago. The topper was supposed to be brand new, but that is assuming the company is honest. I did cover the topper with a zipped mattress cover which had been washed prior to use.

I have had an issue with silverfish in the past so I am wondering if this might be one of them. I have also found exoskeletions of beetle larva(?) on a few of my child's old stuffed animals, but that was quite awhile ago.

Would a bed bug leave its exoskeleton right on top of the sheets? I suppose it could have been hidden in the blanket and fallen off. Whatever it is, it is creepy to know it was on my bed! Please help me ID this. Thanks!

Pics:

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 days ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 11:18:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing bed bug related, may not even be insect related.

What whispers the whisker?
  3. Annie12163

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 11:24:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply. It helps to know it is not a bed bug.

It looks like it has legs to me which is why I think it is an insect. It also looks like it lost an "antenna"....hard to see but the antenna piece is in the first pic.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 days ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 12:34:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Could be silverfish. Pictures are nice and close-up, but image size is small and doesn't lend itself to zooming in without breaking up.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,280 posts in 41,699 topics over 126 months by 18,286 of 18,747 members. Latest: UpsetTenant, lauren_d, Dontbugme07