bug ID, please! bed bug? freaking out [image added; expert ID needed]

(5 posts)
  1. JHinKS

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 15:37:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Trying to determine if my husband brought home bed bugs while traveling recently. Found 2 of these bugs in the last week -- once on a pillow on our bedroom floor and once in a bathroom (not attached to a bedroom). I woke up with about 50 bites over the weekend, but because of their placement on me and our recent outdoor activity, I thought they were chiggers. Seeing this, I am not sure. I haven't seen any blood stains, fecal stains, etc. and we have all white bedding, so I assume they would be visible? Please help! I have a quote for bed bug dog inspection/heat treatment from a professional in our area and it's very expensive.
    bedbug by JKinKS, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 15:47:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not the clearest of images but it's not a bed bug.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. JHinKS

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 15:59:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely helpful, thank you. Sorry for the poor quality, I only have my phone as a camera and I'm not at all a photographer. I sent it to our exterminator who quoted me the $1000+ for treatment after saying he definitely thought it looked like a bedbug, but I wanted a second opinion before even considering that. We did inherit a few dead (that I saw) roaches from the warehouse where our household items were stored for about a month between moves. Any possibility it's related to that? I guess I'm just wondering if you can say you're certain it's not a bed bug. Again, I know you're not working with a great image so I appreciate your help.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 16:07:54
    #

Login to Send PM

As David noted, picture isn't clear. The background would be best if there were more contrast, so using a white lined or graph paper would be better.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. JHinKS

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 16:24:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, in an attempt to move it onto a lined note card, it fell apart a little. I'm assuming this is even less helpful.

bedbug 2 by JKinKS, on Flickr

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335