Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bug ID Please [a: head louse]

(19 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 11:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm back. Hoping I'm just being paranoid. What is this bug? I found it on my bathroom sink. We're coming up on one year from first discovery of BBs and six months without a siting. I'm praying we are all clear, but my anxiety is getting the best of me. Please help. Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/1lBQM

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:14:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, just paranoia; not a bed bug.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. HifromChi

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

That actually looks like a head louse AKA head lice.

4. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:22:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Talk about paranoia... I called my PCO. I'm losing it. However, he lives local and stopped by. He said he thought it was a psocid. Does that sound right? My daughter has been super itchy and her scalp is really dry. Now I'm worried it's head lice. But still, so much better than the other. Though I better do a comb out of her hair tonight. Thanks, all!

5. HifromChi

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:28:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately since I have kids in grade and middle school, I'm all too familiar with the head louse, I'd put my money on that, but as you said, it's a much easier thing to treat.

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Should I call school and bring her home? This sucks.

7. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me rephrase that. This doesn't suck. Not at all. As my user name says, "ithoughtlicewerebad" - not so much after BBs.

8. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 12:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm at least going to through all her sheets and blankets in the wash right now.

9. HifromChi

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 14:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I would just give her hair a good look when she gets home, use a flash light and a fine tooth comb and separate the hair at the crown, the base of the neck and behind the ears, you should see them and their eggs if they're in her hair. If her scalps has been itchy, you'll see bites too. It's still better than bed bugs, but they still suck!

Washing her bedding in hot water will wipe them out, make sure to include her comforter and pillows too and anything else that is on the bed (throw pillows or stuffed animals).

10. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 20:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks HifromChi. It is, indeed, head lice. I checked last week because she was itchy, and saw nothing. Tonight, however, it was much more evident. Especially when I combed through her wet hair. Unfortunately, this is not my first rodeo with those guys. Did a thorough comb out of both kids. Washing all bedding. vacuuming their rooms, sofa, etc. Backpacks, coats and stuffed animals are going through the dryer on high heat.

Evidently, two kids in her class had lice and she forgot to bring home the letter. Ugh. Otherwise, I would have done a thorough combing while her hair was wet a week ago.

Still, I'd take this any day over BBs. My friends are amazed at how calm I am.

11. CantStopCrying

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 0:51:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh man! I’d say that really sucks but after the year we’ve had PMing it only sucks a little....yay for it not being B.B. this time 😂

12. HifromChi

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 11:56:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy I could help, I've dealt with them a few times over the last 6 or 7 years, schools are definitely the breeding grounds for them, but at least they are easily vanquished, and for those of us that have dealt with the vampire bugs from hell, can totally relate to why you're calm!

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 12:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

HifromChi - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Happy I could help, I've dealt with them a few times over the last 6 or 7 years, schools are definitely the breeding grounds for them, but at least they are easily vanquished, and for those of us that have dealt with the vampire bugs from hell, can totally relate to why you're calm!

Not breeding ground but more of a transfer point.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 12:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 23 hours ago  » 
    Talk about paranoia... I called my PCO. I'm losing it. However, he lives local and stopped by. He said he thought it was a psocid. Does that sound right? My daughter has been super itchy and her scalp is really dry. Now I'm worried it's head lice. But still, so much better than the other. Though I better do a comb out of her hair tonight. Thanks, all!

How much faith do you have in your PCO? He should know head lice vs book lice. You can see that this insect has blood inside, too.

15. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 23:51:10
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs, I called him back as soon as I saw HifromChi's post. He said that his first thought was head lice, but he thought it was a tad big for head lice. But as soon as I told him my daughter's head was itching, he told me he was pretty sure that's what it was. He also didn't see this magnified photo and was really just checking to make sure it wasn't a BB. Should I be concerned? I don't think people call PCOs for head lice all that often... but you're right, he probably should have been able to tell.

A related question... could I have lice bites on parts of my body other than my head. I have been itching since this discovery (despite my calm). And I itch in one spot on the inside of my leg, right above the knee. This part of my leg is usually covered up. I thought it was an ingrown hair. But I just looked again and there are a few tiny spots. I'm trying not to panic that BBs are back, but I really can't figure out what this is. They are tinier than anything I remember when I had BBs. But then again, I didn't discover the BBs due to bites, but because I found a bug - and looking back, I remember some odd bites at odd times. But they were bigger and more like mosquito bites. And usually on my neck or arms - areas that weren't covered by pajamas. Anyway, part of me thinks I'm just on high alert right now because the lice are a trigger. We haven't seen a BB in 6 months. No signs. Nothing. Should I worry about these bumps?

16. HifromChi

Posted 3 days ago
    Thu Dec 7 2017 10:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know what happened after having BB's, but since then, my skin reacts to everything and anything. It seem to be more sensitive than it had ever been, I find odd little bumps on my back, and legs, areas that are covered 90% of the time and I know that I don't have BB's anymore. I wish someone could figure out the link between that(if there is one), if BB bites can leave some kind of lingering allergic skin reactions many months or even a year later in my case. My skin still hasn't returned to the normal it knew before I was infested.

17. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 days ago
    Thu Dec 7 2017 10:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

HifromChi, me too on the skin. Or maybe we're noticing things we haven't before. My legs are just so itchy which has me more worried than ever. But knock on wood, we have had no signs of the suckers. So hoping it's psychosomatic (sp?). That said, i started to itch more just by logging onto this site. I think I need to log off for a while.

18. HifromChi

Posted 3 days ago
    Thu Dec 7 2017 12:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Same here, when I'm actively thinking about it, my skin immediately defaults to itchy. Don't forget that this time of year causes dryness too, my skin has always itched in the winter months, piling on some good moisturizer usually takes the edge off.

Try and just go about your life, I make a mental gratitude list every day, that helps keep things in perspective. Many have said here that you get beyond neurosis of it all eventually, some just take longer than others, but we'll get there, stay positive!

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 days ago
    Thu Dec 7 2017 13:11:45
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 13 hours ago  » 
    loubugs, I called him back as soon as I saw HifromChi's post. He said that his first thought was head lice, but he thought it was a tad big for head lice. But as soon as I told him my daughter's head was itching, he told me he was pretty sure that's what it was. He also didn't see this magnified photo and was really just checking to make sure it wasn't a BB. Should I be concerned? I don't think people call PCOs for head lice all that often... but you're right, he probably should have been able to tell.

--- Yes, he should have known. Maybe he hasn't seen any, but based on the insect without regard to size, it is a human louse (that is, head or body).

A related question... could I have lice bites on parts of my body other than my head. I have been itching since this discovery (despite my calm). And I itch in one spot on the inside of my leg, right above the knee. This part of my leg is usually covered up. I thought it was an ingrown hair. But I just looked again and there are a few tiny spots. I'm trying not to panic that BBs are back, but I really can't figure out what this is. They are tinier than anything I remember when I had BBs. But then again, I didn't discover the BBs due to bites, but because I found a bug - and looking back, I remember some odd bites at odd times. But they were bigger and more like mosquito bites. And usually on my neck or arms - areas that weren't covered by pajamas. Anyway, part of me thinks I'm just on high alert right now because the lice are a trigger. We haven't seen a BB in 6 months. No signs. Nothing. Should I worry about these bumps?

Difficult to say exactly. I've been working with bed bug populations for over 20 years, feeding them, and there are still times when an area on the hand or arm feels like a feeding site or a tickle or something like that. There can be many triggers for various skin reactions and even though it can be interpreted as being a bite, it doesn't have to be.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,596 posts in 43,507 topics over 131 months by 19,061 of 19,650 members. Latest: lexie0490, onyva, Ruth989