Bug ID please [a: bed bug nymph & unrelated true bug]

(6 posts)
  1. giad27

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 19:59:18
    #

Login to Send PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153506642@N02/36315816591/in/dateposted-public/
    I'm posting again after a failed photo attempt. We are in the process of eliminating the bed bugs. I have found 2 alive in the past 10 days, and this today on my son's pillow. It doesn't look like the others. Thanks

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 5:54:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This one is almost certainly a bed bug or close relative:

IMG_7081 by Gia DeGenova, on Flickr

The other one is 100% not.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. giad27

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 6:51:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much! They're almost gone 🤞

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 7:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

giad27 - 11 hours ago  » 
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/153506642@N02/36315816591/in/dateposted-public/
    I'm posting again after a failed photo attempt. We are in the process of eliminating the bed bugs. I have found 2 alive in the past 10 days, and this today on my son's pillow. It doesn't look like the others. Thanks

As David noted above, the picture of the light-colored bug is a bed bug nymph. The dark bug is a different species of true bug, but it's possible that this one also may bite, but it's more tasting than feeding. It seems that many bug species, whether predaceous or phytophagous, will taste people if they crawl on you. It's really not feeding just sampling.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. giad27

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 8:25:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. That makes sense because there was a small amount of blood when I smushed it, but not like what you get with a bed bug. Thankfully the nymph was dead from the poison when I wiped the floor with this towel. I'm feeling confident that we're actually getting on top of this. I've seen only 3 live bed bugs in the past 2 weeks. Does that seem like we're doing well or is there no way to actually measure success until they're gone for sure? Thanks for your help

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 9:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

giad27 - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks. That makes sense because there was a small amount of blood when I smushed it, but not like what you get with a bed bug. Thankfully the nymph was dead from the poison when I wiped the floor with this towel. I'm feeling confident that we're actually getting on top of this. I've seen only 3 live bed bugs in the past 2 weeks. Does that seem like we're doing well or is there no way to actually measure success until they're gone for sure? Thanks for your help

Red color might not be your blood, but normal coloration of hemocoelic fluid of bug. It might not have any of your blood in its gut.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335