Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bug ID Please [a: not bed bug-related]

(5 posts)
  1. justwantthemgone

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 13 2017 20:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

We are 2 weeks post third treatment and found this today in dresser drawer. It does not look like a bb to me but I do see horizontal markings and wanted to be sure. Could it be a skin casing?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 13 2017 21:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing bed bug related.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. justwantthemgone

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Apr 14 2017 8:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much. Any idea what it is?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Apr 14 2017 14:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

justwantthemgone - 5 hours ago  » 
    We are 2 weeks post third treatment and found this today in dresser drawer. It does not look like a bb to me but I do see horizontal markings and wanted to be sure. Could it be a skin casing?

It looks like a solid insect, not a shed skin, but it's not clear (focused) enough to make an exact ID. Picture size is good. Try putting in on graph paper or lined paper and that could help with the focus. It's not a bed bug. The horizontal lines are characteristic for almost all insects because it is the segmentation of the abdomen: solid body plates connected by flexible membrane.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. justwantthemgone

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Apr 14 2017 15:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 57 minutes ago  » 

justwantthemgone - 5 hours ago  » 

It looks like a solid insect, not a shed skin, but it's not clear (focused) enough to make an exact ID. Picture size is good. Try putting in on graph paper or lined paper and that could help with the focus. It's not a bed bug. The horizontal lines are characteristic for almost all insects because it is the segmentation of the abdomen: solid body plates connected by flexible membrane.

Thanks so much Lou! Unfortunately I flushed the insect. Thanks for the tip about lined paper. It was so small that it was hard to get a good shot, I took many photos and these were the clearest. I guess the most important thing is that it is not a bed bug. Just wanted to make sure there are no other household pests that I need to be on the lookout for as this is a new apartment for my family. Do you think it's in the beetle family?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,778 posts in 43,323 topics over 130 months by 18,994 of 19,570 members. Latest: NotParanoid, montrealer, April13Hincher