Bug ID: Difference between spider and bed bug

(3 posts)
  1. sam55

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 20:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I am becoming quite the amateur entomologist after experiencing mystery bites. My latest discovery was scampering across the carpet when I came home from work (7 p.m.). It was very light but I noticed the movement and caught it.

I smooshed it with some scotch tape so the images are not the best:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbMWzls4cN2Tl4

It looks like a small, light brown spider but despite pouring over images online and rereading the FAQs, I could use some validation:
    -About 1 mm long
    -Fast mover
    -Long legs (do people typically see the legs of bed bugs?)
    -Black speckled abdomen

Any suggestions as to how can I better distinguish this and whatever I find next from a nymph?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 20:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug.

Early stage nymphs are basically translucent esp. if they haven't fed.

There's a very distinct ratio of head to body of bed bugs that looking at lots of good photos online of them in various stages of life should help you recognize. The bug you've included here doesn't have that ratio.

With adult bed bugs, the body is far more noticeable than the legs. With nymphs, the legs are noticeable but they're, um, shorter and they don't seem to stick as far out from the body as your bug's do. (Sorry that that's less than coherent. I got up at 5 am EDT today and flew across the country. I'm a wee tiny bit tired and therefore less articulate than usual in writing, I'm afraid.)

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 21:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Spiderling. BBs are insects and have 6 legs. Spiders, ticks and mites will have 8.

Spiders all have longer legs than a BB. Until the war is over let the spiders roam. They come across a BB they will eat it.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,302 posts in 29,429 topics over 90 months by 12,696 of 19,958 members. Latest: huntelaar1999, gonzoateafly, Steve Tidebeck