Bug ID Bed bug nymph?? [a: bird or rodent mite]

(17 posts)
  1. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

This is my first post. I'm glad this forum is here. I've been getting some mysterious bites for a few weeks now. Of course, I thought rogue mosquito/flea. Then last night, I found this little "dot" walking across my stomach at 3am. Do I have my first bed bug nymph?? Please help identify so that I can start panicking appropriately.

Photo of underside:

An "expert" just said it was a 'varied carpet beetle,' but when I zoom in on the photo, it looks exactly like a bed bug. And the bites...

2. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:14:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hm, if the photo did not embed the url is https://imgur.com/a/XZRy7

3. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:15:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for any and all help!

4. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 20:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Couple more photos:

under https://imgur.com/rq4oEFG
    over https://imgur.com/a/ot7y0

It does appear to have a distinctive gut area?

5. CantStopCrying

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 22:55:13
    #

Login to Send PM

It’s really hard to say from those photos but he’s such a little guy I don’t think you can get any better ones! Have you looked/found more?

6. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 23:21:35
    #

Login to Send PM

He is VERY tiny. I did a thorough search of bed/sofa/sleeping areas in general. Did not find any other signs.

I just have some mysterious bites (which could be from anything I do suppose) and one very tiny thing that really looks just like a nymph...should I try growing it? Anyone know how long it should take to digest (if it is a nymph), and become all clear again?

Thanks for the reply. You're all so helpful on this forum.

7. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 2:18:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh! Found another one! Small tiny as can be and may be associated with bites. Same dark abdomen area. Walks very fast. Can see the antennae. Could it really be a varied carpet beetle?

8. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 2:34:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug, most likely a parasitic mite(bird/rodent). Can not be exactly sure by pictures. Those do bite in absence of real host. Did you have birds nesting nearby or a rodent problem you know of?

9. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 2:45:17
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a bit...bigger... https://imgur.com/a/WGpEf

Found near the other tiny one...a part of what looks like the upper abdomen and head of a mature bed beg? Or??

Starting to feel a bit more worried.

10. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 2:46:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply, Mawiwala. It's possible about the rodents. It is an old house. But any thoughts on my new finding?

11. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 4:07:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Late night addendum—I felt the one I caught bite me. Makes me want to lean towards bird/rodent mite...

12. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 4:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bed bug related. Rodent/bird mites are pests by the way and the bites of them are often mistaken for bed bug bites. I would stop looking for bed bugs and start to look for possible rodents.

You can wait for Lous second opinion but start to inform you about parasitic mites.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 5:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

ithinkimintrouble - 3 hours ago  » 
    This is a bit...bigger... https://imgur.com/a/WGpEf
    Found near the other tiny one...a part of what looks like the upper abdomen and head of a mature bed beg? Or??
    Starting to feel a bit more worried.

Has nothing to do with bed bugs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 6:01:08
    #

Login to Send PM

ithinkimintrouble - 11 hours ago  » 
    This is my first post. I'm glad this forum is here. I've been getting some mysterious bites for a few weeks now. Of course, I thought rogue mosquito/flea. Then last night, I found this little "dot" walking across my stomach at 3am. Do I have my first bed bug nymph?? Please help identify so that I can start panicking appropriately.
    Photo of underside:

An "expert" just said it was a 'varied carpet beetle,' but when I zoom in on the photo, it looks exactly like a bed bug. And the bites...

Has nothing to do with beetles, nothing to do with bed bugs, nothing to do with insects. It's a mite and this looks like one that would be parasitic on birds or rodents. So your main problem is a problem with rodents and/or birds nesting and their parasite is going after you. It looks nothing like a bed bug.

15. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 0:42:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for all your help. You've greatly put my mind at ease (well...at least I know it's not bed bugs.)

The update is that I am still getting bites. Will continue to launder, vacuum, look for rodents/birds.

Just out of curiosity, what is the giveaway in my instance that I am dealing with mites? Is it the photo?

16. ithinkimintrouble

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 0:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Oop, never mind. Answered my own question after more close reading. Thank you, loubugs.

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 6:42:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ithinkimintrouble - 5 hours ago  » 
    Just out of curiosity, what is the giveaway in my instance that I am dealing with mites? Is it the photo?
    Oop, never mind. Answered my own question after more close reading. Thank you, loubugs.

Photo of what looks like a parasitic rodent or bird mite and not a bed bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd