Bug ID and questions after chemical treatment

(3 posts)
  1. throwawaywhittington

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 23:29:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Background: Woke up two nights in a row with intense itchy welts. Found a single bug the morning after the second night but didn't have any additional bites when exterminators came in about a week after (landlord's timetable). They came, saw nothing and dismissed it as a straggler. Spent the following week waking up with new welts every other day or so. PCOs came again, found nothing and said I might be reacting to something else. Roommates have not found any bugs/bites. I was still getting welts every couple of days but couldn't find any other bugs until about a week later when I found a 1st or 2nd instar unfed nymph on my nightstand and what looked like an egg. PCOs came again and found a single discarded shell on the couch. So roommates grudgingly agreed to treatment. We had two chemical treatments two weeks apart. PCOs claim that it was their easiest job so far. It's been 7 weeks since the first treatment and I thought we were okay.

BUT I have started to get reactions again the past two days. They don't resemble the welts I used to get which were localized, very itchy red spots. New reactions either look like non-itchy red marks that disappear within minutes/hours (my old bites took WEEKS to fade- I still have faint marks) or large hives that itch but not as intensely as the old bites and also disappear within hours/a day.

I am still heating and bagging clothes and shoes. My day jacket and back go to airtight bins as soon as I get home. Shoes go in ziplock bags. All are washed and heated every weekend.

During my regular inspections, I have seen one or two carpet beetles, ants, and what looked like booklice (I don't know why but after five years in this apartment, it suddenly decided to become an insect habitat). I had not seen any bedbugs, fecal spots, skins since that lone adult bug, an instar, egg, and nymph during that that 8 week period before the treatments.

Questions are:

a) I had to retrieve a document from a bin of plastic papers and books that were originally in the bottom drawer of the aforementioned nightstand yesterday. On closer inspection, bins were not as airtight as I thought. I then treated the books and documents in a Zappbug oven for 4 hours but am now concerned that nymphs or instars may have been "biding their time" or something and have now escaped from their plastic storage prisons to come back and haunt me.

b) Is it possible that my skin reacts differently to bedbug bites now? Could that change be possible in a 4 month period (starting from my first bite)?

c) I also slept on the couch the night before the skin reactions began. My roommates had been sleeping there and had friends and family over (!!!!) on that couch after the 1st treatment. Nobody has reported any bites or seen any bugs. I'm the only one getting any sort of reaction.

I found this crawling up my bedroom wall before the 2nd treatment. I think it looks like a nymph but could it be a different bug? I want to know if there's a possibility that I am reacting to another specimen other than bedbugs.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/adR5p"><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://imgur.com/a/adR5p

Sorry for such a long post. I had been consulting this forum every since my first sighting and I am thankful to have found it.

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 4:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

b) Is it possible that my skin reacts differently to bedbug bites now? Could that change be possible in a 4 month period (starting from my first bite)?

I don't know the answer to that but for myself, I react differently depending on the age of the bed bug. with young nymphs I get a brief tiny welt which goes away quickly. with adults I get large welts that itch for days and stay red.

Account closed
  3. throwawaywhittington

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 20:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 1 day ago  » 

I don't know the answer to that but for myself, I react differently depending on the age of the bed bug. with young nymphs I get a brief tiny welt which goes away quickly. with adults I get large welts that itch for days and stay red.

This is my current fear. I used to get large wheals and welts (The marks are almost faded after several weeks but they're still visible enough to know they were there.). The new reactions though are small hives that don't itch as much and disappear within minutes/hours. I'm really scared baby versions of this nightmare are still lurking around. I hate feeling like I don't have a life anymore and I'm scared to be anywhere in my home.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,195 posts in 41,256 topics over 125 months by 18,080 of 18,499 members. Latest: Mendace, astephe2, Cmarie32