Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bug ID and Bite Info [a: de-alate queen carpenter ant]

(7 posts)
  1. Over_This

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 18:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you can't go by bites alone, but on Sunday night, this huge boil (sorry, gross, I know) began to form on my neck. It has a small yellow blister in the middle, and it hurts. My hair ordinarily hides it, so whenever my hair touches it, it itches a little as well.

I can't think of anywhere I would have been exposed to anything, but I have no idea what's caused this. The only clue I might have is the insect in the photo below. He looks a little intimidating, but I don't know if he's even capable of biting/stinging.

What do you think? Thanks for your help in advance!

2. User123

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 20:00:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you have ants.

3. Over_This

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 21:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought it might be a large ant, but I was holding out hope it would explain the mysterious damage to my neck.

Ah well. Back to the drawing board of madness.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 5:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes its a black ant.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 13:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks like a carpenter ant, a species of Camponotus. Its (I should say her) thoracic composition suggests a de-alate queen. Might be from a new swarm of fertile males and females and it was looking for a place to start her nest, raise a first brood of workers. De-alate means that it starts out with wings and after mating pulls them off, but leaves a basal scale on the thorax. Workers don't have this thoracic morphology.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Over_This

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 19:26:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou and David!

Lou, I've been researching carpenter ants to learn if they bite. All I've seen says it's pretty rare. If it's possible, could they inflict a nasty bite with a blister? The doctor said it's infected, and I normally don't react like this to insect bites.

Thanks!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 8:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Over_This - 12 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Lou and David!
    Lou, I've been researching carpenter ants to learn if they bite. All I've seen says it's pretty rare. If it's possible, could they inflict a nasty bite with a blister? The doctor said it's infected, and I normally don't react like this to insect bites.
    Thanks!

No, the ant isn't the culprit here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,021 posts in 42,681 topics over 129 months by 18,732 of 19,280 members. Latest: Maybebedbugs, Vincent601, bedbug