bug id [a: spider beetles and unknown beetle]

(10 posts)
  1. horridbugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 3:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

i am newly registered here but must thank you for this great site which has kept me company during a lonely year
    we first discovered bedbugs july 2016 and the house has been sprayed a number of times with a pco,i thought we had won but have been finding a large number of bugs since the warm weather started
    the pco says they are not bedbugs but doesn't know what they are
    would you be able to confirm they are not bedbugs and if possible say what they are please

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152621756@N08/albums

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 4:36:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The album needs to be set to public for us to be able to see the images.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. horridbugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 4:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

not very technical minded does this work
    20170711_14244
    by bugs bugs, on Flickr
    20170711_142408 by bugs bugs, on Flickr
    20170711_142351 by bugs bugs, on Flickr

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 8:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

There are 2 kinds of beetles, the majority look like a spider beetle (not sure which species) and there is one more beetle. It's hard to zoom in on them and not have the picture break up. So PCO/PMP was correct - they are not bed bugs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. horridbugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 8:01:19
    #

Login to Send PM

i have taken a clearer photo
    100_2892 by bugs bugs, on Flickr

6. horridbugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 8:06:13
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for your answer i am now more reassured

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 8:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

You would really need to get a more macro picture - close-up of the beetles. So there must be something going on to give you this many adult beetles. Spider beetles and larvae are scavengers on many types or organic matter and this includes dead animals (usually dried out), dried food product including dog and cat food. The second beetle species is a more elongate one, possibly a stored food product pest like Tribolium and in another family, Tenebrionidae. Spider beetles are Ptinidae.

8. horridbugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 10:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for your informative answer
    after we got rid of the bedbugs we got cluster flies in the loft,we killed and cleared up as many as we could is it possible that the spider beetles are living off the dead cluster flies
    all these bugs have been found upstairs where food is never taken

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 13:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

horridbugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    thank you for your informative answer
    after we got rid of the bedbugs we got cluster flies in the loft,we killed and cleared up as many as we could is it possible that the spider beetles are living off the dead cluster flies
    all these bugs have been found upstairs where food is never taken

Yes, certainly possible. Dead insects can be eaten. Just wondering why spider beetles would be attracted to cluster flies in an attic. They might have been in the house already. There might be something else going on.

10. horridbugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 4:53:27
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry to keep on about this and i realise this is a bedbed not spider beetle forum but i must admit i am a little concerned about 'there might be something else going on'
    we definitely had bedbugs last year,we live in an old house which was sprayed top to bottom twice and upstairs at least another three times including the loft
    after the initial frenzied cleaning and throwing away i have kept cleaning to a minimum so the insecticide wasnt removed
    i am wondering if we have always had spider beetles and now finding large ammounts because when they come out for a little stroll they are dying from crossing the insecticide instead of returning to their hiding places
    we did investigate the loft last night just in case and couldn't see anything obvious but of course we cant look inside the walls

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,719 posts in 42,630 topics over 128 months by 18,711 of 19,242 members. Latest: Brightly79, InaneVelocity, ElisaR