Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Brown bugs and itchy bites - bed bug infestation?

(10 posts)
  1. Angius

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 3:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I think I might have bed bugs.

First I started noticing itchy bites over my arms and legs. It was summer, though, so I thought some stray mosquitoes happened into my apartment.

It no longer is summer, yet my right forearm and right side of stomach are covered in bites: https://imgur.com/a/V1ayd

I also noticed a bug, twice. They were flat, brown, looked like a bed bug, except with a smooth abdomen. No photos, since I didn't think much of them then. Both times they were spotted on my bed.

No blood stains on my bedsheets, as far as I can tell. Nobody else in my apartment seems to suffer those bites, so it's limited to my bed, or my room at least.

Couldn't be bed bugs? Bites sure seen like it, but no spread throughout the apartment and smoothness of the bugs tell me it might not be it.

I'll be tearing down my bed today, looking for some more signs of infestation.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 11:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

No one can confirm what insect bit you. If you find evidence (fecal spots, cast skins, bugs), take close up, hi-res photos and post in the ID request forum.

Nobody else in my apartment seems to suffer those bites, so it's limited to my bed, or my room at least.

In the case of bed bugs, that is not necessarily true. Around 30% of the population doesn't react to bed bug bites.

3. Angius

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 12:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the ID request forum, I believe?
    Anyway, managed to catch a single tiny one, though: https://imgur.com/a/h0Srn

4. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 12:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a nymph so yes, you have a bed bug problem. Time to call an experienced PCO. Keep the specimen you've found to show them so they can start treatment immediately.

5. Angius

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 12:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, shit.

One more question: I've read about how scratching the bites can cause some parasite infection... How common of an occurrence is it? Or is it "you scratch - you die"? Are bedbugs in Europe also carrying it?

6. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 12:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I've not heard of that before, but know that any bite that is scratched too much can bring on an infection, but the bed bugs themselves don't spread disease through their bites. Thankfully.

If you've had these bites and sightings since the summer, then these critters have had a good amount of time to make themselves at home, I would start a treatment plan ASAP. If you have a landlord, they should be notified, and if you have adjacent neighbors, they've been possibly exposed too.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 14:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a fed young bed bug nymph. Scratching allows any organism on the skin a way in.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. Angius

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 15:55:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, the couch is out, but the good news is I haven't found any colony, eggs or even droppings. All furniture is new, the room has been renovated recently, and the only old piece of furniture was the couch. So I'm hopeful it'll solve the issue.

If not, thankfully desinsection in my area isn't that expensive. Itching doesn't bother me that much either, since I'm used to it because of my allergy to mosquitoes. And because I have a tub of Fenistil gel always at the ready.

9. Angius

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 15:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, the couch is out, but the good news is I haven't found any colony, eggs or even droppings. All furniture is new, the room has been renovated recently, and the only old piece of furniture was the couch. So I'm hopeful it'll solve the issue.

If not, thankfully desinsection in my area isn't that expensive. Itching doesn't bother me that much either, since I'm used to it because of my allergy to mosquitoes. And because I have a tub of Fenistil gel always at the ready.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 16:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the ID request forum, I believe?

Yes, I guess it is. Sorry, I was on my phone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7