Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Brand new mattress, bedframe, and mattress encasement.

(13 posts)
  1. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 19:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I moved into our new apartment 2 weeks ago. We came from a building that had a problem. We were lucky enough that in our entire year there we only ever found a couple babies right at the beginning. My girlfriend reacts to them and I do not. When we were bitten they left just a couple very dark spots. A couple on the fitted sheet and one on the underside of the mattress on the encasement. We were treated regularly and didn't have anymore problems. We also heat treated most of our stuff, cleaned it, and put it way in air tight boxes for months.

Fast forward to moving to this new apartment. My girlfriend and I have been sleeping on the couch the entire time so far because the first week we didn't have a bed at all. Now her mom and little brother are visiting us and have been sleeping on the bed for a week.

We have had no issues on the couch. My girlfriend has no bites. Her mom and brother also have no bites. Today however, I lifted back the fitted sheet and saw all of these tiny spots all over the top of the encasement. They are not nearly as dark as the ones we had in our previous apartment. There also seem to be far too many for no one to have any bites and I also checked the frame, inside of the encasement, and the sheets and could not find fecal stains, skins, or any bugs.

However, because we are semi-scarred from our previous experience you can understand how worried we are about the possibility that we brought one or they are in this building.

I've attached a photo of one are of the encasement but it is representative of the other marks. It's also worth noting that all of the marks are not the same color. Some are black/gray, brown, red, or even kind of blue.

Given all of these marks, I feel as though we would definitely find bugs since we found them at our old apartment when there was just a couple of babies. Also none of the marks are on the fitted sheet just the encasement which doesn't make sense as it probably would've rubbed onto the sheet if there were that many.

Picture: http://imgur.com/a/UHNWI

Thanks for the help!

2. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 19:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Follow up -

Since we were paranoid about bringing anything over when we moved my girlfriend apparently steamed the fitted sheet while it was on the mattress encasement. Wondering if it could be mold/mildew from the moisture?

We also have interceptors from home depot on the bed legs and the couch and nothing has been found in the traps. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/00/0076af6e-ed86-4b42-956b-439833f8f13e_1000.jpg

3. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 7:38:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Any ideas? Really starting to think it's just mold because there's probably 70 of those marks and not one bite on anyone. Can't find one bug and the marks are not on the sheets or anywhere else.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 11:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it could be mildew, especially with the varying colors.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  5. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 13:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yes, it could be mildew, especially with the varying colors.

I think so too. That's just one section of the mattress cover and they are just like that but all over the mattress cover. Surely on this brand new bed that's been on interceptors since it was built and only had 2 people sleeping on it for just a week that'd be wayyyyy to many bites to not see any bugs anywhere in the room let alone the frame and underside of the mattress right?

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 7:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, agreed, mildew is a good choice.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 7:46:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's. it ed bug related.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 8:02:55
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    It's. it ed bug related.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Hi David,

Just want to make sure what yo meant since that seems like a type thanks!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 8:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not bed bug related.

David

10. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 8:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thank you that's what I thought you meant.

Hanks for the help everyone, you all are awesome!

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 8:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

encasement - 7 minutes ago  » 

Hanks?

12. encasement

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 8:55:35
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 18 minutes ago  » 

encasement - 7 minutes ago  » 

Hanks?

Thanks**

I'm making typos all over the place! Lol

13. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 10:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

All three generations of the Williams family.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,595 posts in 43,278 topics over 130 months by 18,982 of 19,560 members. Latest: Koonspg4s, slynnp1, bkb