Boiling water

(7 posts)
  1. bella232

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 3:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't seem to find a direct answer to this - Does pouring boiling water over something kill BB & eggs on contact? Or do you need to soak for a while?

I have borrowed a friend's baby car seat, which she needs back by September, and want to be sure it is BB free when I return it. It has a removable cover which can't be put in the dryer, over a plastic base. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 5:24:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

From experience I would say that you are more likely to have an issue on the material liner than the plastic outer casing.

In which case I would suggest the following:

• Place the whole seat in the bath - its a good isolation area and maean nothing will be missed
    • Remove and wash the material liner
    • Inspect the plastic carrier for any signs of bed bugs

If you want to be extra vigilant with the carrier use an alcohol solution as a contact killer but please do not use an insecticide based product on the carrier or liner itself.

You may also want to look at PackTite as a more efficient option to this kind of situation.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 17:17:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Before you use 91% isopropyl alcohol on the plastic parts, test the alcohol on a small, unobtrusive section of the plastic.

I found that 91% isopropyl alcohol will "melt" some plastics (that is, it will make them sticky and tacky and can alter the finish of the item).

It doesn't do it to all plastics, but to be safe, I would test it first before dousing the whole item.

4. bella232

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 17:30:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both. David, unfortunately we can't get packtite here in New Zealand... A pity, it would help a lot!

So just to confirm, is the consensus that boiling water will not kill them on contact?

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 17:36:35
    #

Login to Send PM

BBs will die from heat starting at 113F and the higher the temp the shorter the exposure has to be.

Immersion in boiling water is instant death but could rapidly damage the immersed object as well.

For dishes and little things that can take the heat, you have a BB dip and die tool. Be smart and safe though with it. Just like blanching vegetables.

A car seat is a whole different thing though.

Jim

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 17:41:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bella,

Boiling water will kill on contact but it will also scold you on contact. I wrote a more detailed post because there is simply no need to use boiling water and it would be safer for you not to.

I don't wish to sound like the safety police, its just why run the risk when you don't need to, its a simple philosophy but one that keeps me safe and well.

David

7. bella232

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 17:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Great, thank you so much for the advice. This forum is such a wonderful support, especially as very few people here in NZ seems to know anything about BB's!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,228 posts in 29,417 topics over 90 months by 12,689 of 19,948 members. Latest: chicagobedbugordinancerocks, brooklynbaby, Sarahlynn87