Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Blood stains ID needed/ questions regarding blood stains-please help!

(11 posts)
  1. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 18:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I have some questions regarding bed bug blood stains. I've had several stains show up over the last 2 days. The first day I woke up and there were several blood stains in one area. However (this might be tmi but it's probably good info to give) I was on my period and the area of the stains would correlate with where I was laying and it's happened before where I've leaked through. I freaked out at first but then felt relief blaming it on my period. However, today I woke up with another blood stain on the sheets. The stain is in a different spot and a bit higher up. Now, I do recall rolling over to the middle of the bed (where this stain is) but b/c of the positioning it's a bit more of a stretch to to say it could be from my period too but it can't 100% be ruled out (would depend on how high up I was laying and I don't recall that).
    I know there's no way to 100% identify blood stains but can anyone provide feedback on if these stains look at all similar to bed bug stains from experience? I included two photos of the different stains/areas.

I also have a few questions...
    1. Can bed bugs leave this big of stains? They range from dime to a bit over quarter size. That just seems like a lot of blood. And the first night there is a handful in one area.
    2. I have no bites and have not found any dead or alive bugs. I'm assuming the blood would be from crushing the bed bugs, right? If that's the case, wouldn't I have found some dead bugs?

I woke up to use the restroom when I noticed this new stain and couldn't fall back to sleep, I was literally on the verge of a panic attack. My husband thinks I'm overreacting over nothing but I can't help being freaked out. The timing seems very coincidental with being on my period but I'm still worried. Now that my period is over I'm scared to go to bed tonight in fear of waking up to more stains.

If anyone can lend some insight I would appreciate it so much!

image1 by scared lola, on Flickr
    image1 by scared lola, on Flickr

2. Helerown

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 19:20:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert and I am very new to all this myself, but my personal opinion based on my experiences is the stains are too big. Have you noticed any other signs?

3. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 19:25:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I have not noticed any other signs. Only the blood stains. No bites, itching, fecal stains, or bugs have been seen.

4. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 23:08:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to be heading to bed in a few hours and I'm sitting here just trying to calm myself down and convince myself these blood stains aren't from bed bugs. I mean, with that much blood, wouldn't there definitely be a dead bug (or more) squished in the blood? Or could the bug have been squished, causing the blood stain and crawled away? Ughhh

5. Mf1616

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 23:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn’t look bed bug related to me. It was probably your period...

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  6. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 23:25:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response Mf1616! Is there anything specific regarding blood stains that I should be looking for that identifies a possible bed bug versus blood from another source?

7. Mf1616

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 23:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

concerned about bugs - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for your response Mf1616! Is there anything specific regarding blood stains that I should be looking for that identifies a possible bed bug versus blood from another source?

I’m not an expert, but I think those stains are too big and there are too many of them to be bed bug related. If you were crushing that many in your sleep, you would have an obvious infestation on your hands. I would also look at the overall picture: you have no bites, no other signs of bed bugs. I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to worry. It was most likely from your period.

8. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 1:48:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

9. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 10:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: NO new blood stains this morning! I'm also off my period now so I am wondering if thats all it was (which I feel pretty stupid if it was). I'm feeling a bit relieved. However, I do know that if it were bed bugs, that doesn't mean they are going to bite/leave stains every night in a row so time will tell with this but it is interesting and hopeful that my first night sleeping off my period and there was no blood!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 19:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is it doesn't matter what size the blood stains are, if they are blood stains, they do not confirm the presence of bed bugs, because they can have other causes.

Given the circumstances, I would not worry. If you have bed bugs, you'd eventually be able to find fecal stains (though perhaps not in two days). However, it sounds like the only "evidence" or reason for concern is the blood and that's not really evidence, so it does not sound like cause for concern.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. concerned about bugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 23:09:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 hours ago  » 
    My understanding is it doesn't matter what size the blood stains are, if they are blood stains, they do not confirm the presence of bed bugs, because they can have other causes.
    Given the circumstances, I would not worry. If you have bed bugs, you'd eventually be able to find fecal stains (though perhaps not in two days). However, it sounds like the only "evidence" or reason for concern is the blood and that's not really evidence, so it does not sound like cause for concern.

Hmm thats good to know...so essentially there's not set pattern, coloring or size of blood stain that is distinct to bedbugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,244 posts in 45,470 topics over 139 months by 19,981 of 20,745 members. Latest: verboserabbit, ShortBanana, Holidaybugs