black poppy-seed like thing(10 posts)
I have taken to running into my baby's room with a flashlight in the middle of the night to see if I can catch anything mid-feed. So far I have caught nothing, and nothing has been trapped in the climbup interceptors. However, last night, I did find a single poppy seed-like thing on the back of my baby's shirt right at her neck. I picked it up - it didn't crumble, was very hard and black, and if i'd had poppy-seed anything in the house, I'd think it was definitely a poppy seed. I doused it in hydrogen peroxide - nothing. It's now been in hydrogen peroxide for 18 hours, and has not bled or smeared at all. What could this be? Is this bed bug poop?
I have read many of the posts on this forum tagged with "poppy" but am still not sure about the answer to my question.
Thank you very much.
Bedbug poop looks like black smears, not poppy seeds. Are there any bites on you or your baby? Look at the photos on this website to see what you need to look for as far as poop, eggs, and ugly, nasty bbs go. When you squish a bb (which is VERY satisfying), you get a pile of black, red-black, or pure blood which is most disgusting but they are not hard and unyielding. Good luck!
Thanks, thisbites. I did look at the info on this website and searched the archives of the forum. It seems that with feces, they will EVENTUALLY at least somewhat dissolve in the hydrogen peroxide. This thing, however, is STILL sitting in there without even a tiny bit of dissolving.
I guess if I hadn't found it ON MY BABY'S NECK, I would just let it go and hope it's a bit of food or something.
Yes, we do have bites, though I've got to say they've decreased a lot, thanks to 2 PCO treatments. It's horrible that I still don't know WHEN my baby or I react. I seem to react randomly bc I have had reactions in clearly non-infested places and in non-infested clothes. Yesterday I reacted in my in-laws house, which sent me into a frenzy of fear that we'd infested them or that we brought them in from our car.
I am reaching a level of emotional and physical exhaustion over this issue that is hard to handle.
I found the exact same thing in my bed... I think GNAT or flea.... leaning more towards gnat.... small poppy with skinny legs....
Not bed bug related whatever it is.
Bed bug feces basically result in two different patterns depending on what surface they are on.
On fabric, bed bug fecal matter looks like someone left a permanent marker (like a Sharpie) or a gel or fountain pen uncapped with its tip in contact with the fabric. The fecal matter will appear black and will have bled into the weave of the fabric.
On surfaces that are not porous like fabric, the fecal matter may appear as little dollops. Do you know candy dots? The brightly colored sugary dollops that come attached to strips of paper? The kind of candy dots you peel off and eat?
Fecal matter on non-porous surfaces has, to me, always looked exactly like very small black candy dots. The surface, if you look closely, is more matte finish than shiny, and it's a tiny tiny bit grainy, like the sugary surface of candy dot, if you look really closely.
Neither version of them will blow or brush off with a breath or your hand. Anything as mobile as a poppy seed isn't bed bug fecal matter, and in that color, it's also definitely not bed bug egg related.
Remember that any run in with bed bugs is likely to make people hypervigilant, which means we're likely to find lots of new stuff in our homes that we didn't realize was there before. At least one former bed bug sufferer panicked when a flax seed filled sleep mask exploded, spreading flax seeds--which are pretty much the exact same color as bed bugs--in the bed.
Thanks , buggyinsocal. Both informative and reassuring. I guess I will now discard the object.
thanks buggy lololol one more thing I can add to my list of DO NOT EAT looks too much like a BB>>>.......
Ok, i know its been a while since the last post on this, but i have to tell you im also going crazy. I've got bites everywhereeeeeee and i found at least 3 of these poppy seeds things, one about 2 weeks ago, one 3 days ago, and one now.
The first two were on my bed, and the other one i found on small couch next to my bed. Today my mom cleaned out my whole room and vacuumed and did the whole bunch, and i came in later in the day and sprayed the room up and down with rubbing alcohol...you know just in case lol. I just want to know if youre still getting bitten soscared? I just hate the fact that a coward of a bug can come in at night and bite me and just disappear, sigh...makes me really hate all bugs alive lol
soscared -- did you ever discover what was biting you? I too have been finding poppy-seed like debris. My husband has been getting mysterious bites. We don’t think they are bug bites but are desperate to find a solution. We are going absolutely crazy and are desperate for an answer. We’ll do anything to get a proper nights’ sleep.
• We live in a 1300 sf semi open concept loft – hardwood throughout – in Toronto.
• Jamie, my husband, gets 1-3 bites per night every few days…since the summer. (I have pictures).
• The bites have appeared on this torso, his ankles, his calves, his face…only 1-3 bites every few days.
• I have never seen a bite on my body. I happen to be a very allergic person – react badly to mosquitos, bee stings, environmental allergens
• His bites are red and extremely itchy, and create swelling. One bite on his wrist caused his entire hand to swell like a balloon…couldn’t see his knuckles.
• We assumed we had bed bugs. We hired one exterminator 3x – he used chemical sprays. We hired another exterminator that used natural means (vacuuming, steaming, non-toxic chemicals). They came twice – and on the second visit, told us that we do NOT have bed bugs. We had them come back a third time to do another inspection – they are certain that we do not have bed bugs.
• We have never seen evidence of bed bugs – no blood spots, feces, marks on our (white) sheets. And no site of a bug. Ever!
• We sometimes find black hard poppy-seed like debris in the bed..sometimes under the fitted sheet. We do not eat poppy seed bagels in bed!
• We have purchased a bed bug cover for our mattress and our pillows. We clean our sheets nearly twice a week.
• We have a built-in book shelf in our room…but no other furniture.
• We sent ALL our clothes to be cleaned by a company that deals with bed bug infested homes – paid nearly $800 dollars to have all our possessions cleaned and bagged.
• He spends a few nights a week on our sofa, in the adjacent room. He’s never received a bite while sleeping on the sofa.
• He thinks he gets fewer/zero bites when we turn down the heat in our apartment.
• Our apartment collects a lot of dust – our cleaning lady says that she sometimes cleans the same room twice because the dust collects within hours. We thought perhaps dust mites – but didn’t think dust mites bite. He doesn’t appear to be suffering from breathing problems. And despite the dust, the place looks very clean…minimal furniture and no clutter.
You might want to private message soscared, since this thread is a year old.
(Click "PM this user" next to soscared's post above.)I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
You must log in to post.