Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Black pepper-like flecks caused by BBs

(7 posts)
  1. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2009 9:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my 12th treatment (after a reinfestation) on January 23rd. No bites, no blood, no bugs for a couple of weeks. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me!

I still inspect my bed before going to sleep and upon waking up for signs of activity. And I suddenly realized this week that I no longer have any of the black pepper-like flecks in my bed. Not for weeks. I spoke to my daughter, and neither has she.

Throughout the infestation, we had the black pepper flecks in our beds and I kept asking the PCO if they were BB related. He replied that it was likely dirt. I found this answer suspicious because we were vacuuming every single day. And, before BB, we never had these flecks in our bed. So why all of a sudden?

And if it was simply dirt, why has it suddenly disappeared? If ever there was a time of year when we are more likely to drag dirt around the house, winter is the most likely. We walk into the foyer of the apartment in our boots, which are covered in the gravel and dirt spread on sidewalks to reduce slipping. I am constantly having to vacuum the foyer because of all the dirt.

There have been a number of discussions on the forum about these mysterious black flecks and nobody has any answers. I don't have an answer either, however I am now convinced that they MUST be BB related. I didn't have them before I had BBs. I don't have after I got rid of BBs.

Anybody else noticed that the black pepper flecks disappeared when the BBs were eradicated?

Kate

2. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2009 20:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

If you suspect a bed bug dropping just wet your finger and rub it over the speck. If it streaks it's most likely a bed bug dropping. This will only work on hard surfaces for the most part. Bed bug droppings will bleed into fabric weaves though. I never tested rubbing a suspected bed bug dropping on fabric before. It might not streak as much but it might end up on your finger and smear. Also if it's just dust or lint a simple breath of exhailed air will blow that stuff away. Bed bug droppings don't blow away.

Check out this video to see what I mean.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

fast foward to the 2:00 mark

Hope it helps you out

3. oceansaway

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 15:30:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I just had confirmation by Kody that I do not have BBs but also I have not seen any poppy seed black spots for awhile either and believe me I was obsessed with them. My bed which has white sheets has been clear of these I think since my last treatment back in October. I was getting little pimple like marks and stilll do get the odd one but I never use to examine my skin the way I did until BBs. I am now living as if I don't have them aand since comfirmation I am sleeping like a baby and not itcing all night long.
    No one will ever convince me that those hard poppy seed droppings are not an indication of BBs

4. bitten123

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 15:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations Itchy! Those weird unexplainable black flecks are weird huh? Mine have stopped also, right along with bites stopping. I have not seen a black fleck in almost 3months...makes you wonder about them for sure. I never had them before bedbugs, and now don't have any black flecks on sheet. The flecks stopped when the bites did...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I am hopeful that this time you are free!

5. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 15:51:14
    #

Login to Send PM

oceansaway: so you just got the all-clear from Kody? That's great news! Hope it stays that way for you...

6. oceansaway

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 16:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG...... THREE OF us bb FREE.May we never go through that hell again.

7. bbstill

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 19 2010 9:53:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You guys are SOOO lucky! It has been 7 weeks for us (family of 4). What did you do that you think helped you. Suggestions would be so appreciated!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,364 posts in 29,440 topics over 90 months by 12,705 of 19,968 members. Latest: BuggyNoMoreIHope, hinfungyik, abq671