Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Black, Brown, Tan Specks--BB feces or eggs? PLEASE help!

(18 posts)
  1. whatisthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 0:19:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, i know ya'll have covered this but I am still so confused! I need help!
    I have been finding re-occuring black, brown/red, and light/tan specks in ONE spot on the bed. They are hard, and do not dissolve or turn red or brown on a wet white cloth or with peroxide. They are HARD seed like specks, easily brushed off the bed.
    After being fed up and obsessed in trying to find out WHAT this could be, i tore of all my bed clothes and moved my mattress to vacuum under and around the bed as well as vacuum the mattress and box spring. I did not find any visual evidence of bed bugs as far as the pictures i have been looking at of feces, etc...
    My boyfriend and I have NOT been bitten or suffered from any unusual red welts, etc...And we have been noticing these specks for about 2 weeks..
    Now the weird thing about these seed like specks is, you brush them off the bed....and you go back 20 mins later and there are new ones there... I am wondering if there is something falling from the ceiling or ceiling fan? Is this Bed Bug related?! I need help!!!! Please anyone with any ideas, let me know. Thank you so much!

2. greenapplepest

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 0:26:11
    #

Login to Send PM

whatisthis - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Okay, i know ya'll have covered this but I am still so confused! I need help!
    I have been finding re-occuring black, brown/red, and light/tan specks in ONE spot on the bed. They are hard, and do not dissolve or turn red or brown on a wet white cloth or with peroxide. They are HARD seed like specks, easily brushed off the bed.
    After being fed up and obsessed in trying to find out WHAT this could be, i tore of all my bed clothes and moved my mattress to vacuum under and around the bed as well as vacuum the mattress and box spring. I did not find any visual evidence of bed bugs as far as the pictures i have been looking at of feces, etc...
    My boyfriend and I have NOT been bitten or suffered from any unusual red welts, etc...And we have been noticing these specks for about 2 weeks..
    Now the weird thing about these seed like specks is, you brush them off the bed....and you go back 20 mins later and there are new ones there... I am wondering if there is something falling from the ceiling or ceiling fan? Is this Bed Bug related?! I need help!!!! Please anyone with any ideas, let me know. Thank you so much!

This does not sound like a bedbug related issue. But if you need reasurance perhaps get an inspection by a PCO or a Bedbug dog.

Mike S
    Green Apple Pest Management Solutions Inc.

3. helpme15

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 0:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I had this happen to me awhile ago.. Do you have a cat? When I kicked my cat of my room the specks or flecks disappeared ...

4. whatisthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 0:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I dont, but i have 2 dogs. They dont really come into the bedroom but the other day one of them was on the bed. Neither one of them have fleas, and i dont think it is flea feces...Im just very confused!! I thought it may be bed bugs because of the "pepper flakes" or "poppy seed" feces that people seem to be reporting...and because i know how sneaky those little suckers can be and i have not seen ANY bugs in or around the bed....Anyone else have any ideas??

5. wchicago

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 0:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

hi what is this

i second the cat suggestion. one second suggestion is to get a ladder and a swiffer duster and clean the bejeezus out of your ceiling fan blades. if they are squeaky clean and the debris still happens, you know its not the fan. . .

it really doesn't sound bb related. take and post a pic and experts (not me) on this board will give you feedback

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 1:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Cats with tapeworms can leave stuff like that. Pepper flakes/poppy seeds can be flea dirt.

Jim

7. whatisthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 1:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah no kitties here...and dont think its flea dirt. the specks are in the same EXACT area each time and "fall" or appear continuously through out the day...wipe it clean, its back 10 mins later...its driving me nuts!

8. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 6:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Poppy seeds and black pepper flake like objects are not the best way to describe bed bug feces.

On fabric surfaces, bed bug feces look like someone left an uncapped permanent marker there, and the feces look like the ink from the marker bled into the fabric.

On non-porous surfaces, bed bug feces look like a black, matte version of the old fashioned candy dots (you know, the kind that you peeled off the white strips of paper) but smaller.

I don't know what the things you're finding are evidence of, but nothing you described sounds at all like bed bug feces to me.

9. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 6:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

A picture or image would help with a more accurate diagnosis.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

10. wchicago

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 11:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

do you have a house plant in the room? could it be sending out pollen or seeds?

11. buggedout16

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 10 2010 11:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

That really doesn't sound like BBs at all.

It sounds more like the ceiling fan as you mentioned in your first post, especially if you've been running it more lately as the weather has warmed up a little and a lot of dust has been sitting in it most of the winter; or possibly pollen from a plant in the room as wchicago says.

12. jimmyswaggart

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 15 2010 17:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

This is cockroach droppings, used to mark courtship territory. A search to any exterminator site will confirm.

/thread

13. hh7

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2011 18:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the exact same thing happening on a spot on my bed. It just started this week, and I've cleaned them off everyday in the same spot. I don't have any bites, haven't seen any sign of bugs in my bed or in the entire apartment and I am grossed out. If anyone has a similar experience and figured it out please let me know.

Not sleeping in my bed,
    HH

14. briand954

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 0:15:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey I have this EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! I found bed bugs wrapped the mattress n boxspring.. stuff was on top of it when I got home.. wipe it off.. its back in 20 mins.. I said the exact same thing.. don't think its bed bug feces.. thought it was the ceiling or fan..fans been off still there same spot. It can't be roaches because I would notice a roach on my bed.. these specks seeds w/e they are seem to come out of nowhere same spot everyday.. not under the sheets just on top... HAVE YOU FOUND AN ANSWER!!? PLEASE HELP!! its been like a week now and this is the only similar thing online I found! Plz tell me if anyone has figured this out! Going crazy!

15. briand954

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 0:17:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey I have this EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! I found bed bugs wrapped the mattress n boxspring.. stuff was on top of it when I got home.. wipe it off.. its back in 20 mins.. I said the exact same thing.. don't think its bed bug feces.. thought it was the ceiling or fan..fans been off still there same spot. It can't be roaches because I would notice a roach on my bed.. these specks seeds w/e they are seem to come out of nowhere same spot everyday.. not under the sheets just on top... HAVE YOU FOUND AN ANSWER!!? PLEASE HELP!! its been like a week now and this is the only similar thing online I found! Plz tell me if anyone has figured this out! Going crazy!

16. hevenbnd24

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 3:33:30
    #

Login to Send PM

jimmyswaggart - 12 months ago  » 
    This is cockroach droppings, used to mark courtship territory. A search to any exterminator site will confirm.
    /thread

Cockroach droppings look like coffee grounds FYI

They don't go away either. We check the inside corners of all kitchen cabinets before we move into a new place.
    LOL there doesn't seem to be a way to check for BB in a vacant house.
    Guess we just have to pray....

17. crisana

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 2:18:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had the same problem: black, brown, tan poppy seed droppings on one spot on the bed. The source I've found for them: the ceiling, from one minuscule hole in the ceiling, barely visible, some creature, I didn't see it, but I think is worm-like. I've placed duct tape over the hole and there are no more poppy seed droppings on the bed.

18. Maera

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 23:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,353 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter