Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites that disappear after a few hours and aren't that itchy?

(5 posts)
  1. tender.buttons

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 5:02:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I know that everyone reacts differently to bedbug bites, but has anyone experienced bites that appear and then disappear completely (or reduce substantially) after only a few hours, or even under an hour?

Also, the first series of bites I got, which occurred a week and a half ago while staying at a friend's place, itched a lot more than the ones I'm getting now. They usually appeared two to four in a row. The bites I'm getting now hardly itch at all, fade really quickly, and are single bites. What's up with this? Could these "new" bites be a delayed reaction from when I was at my friend's place? I haven't found any evidence of bedbugs here yet, except for this one small dark stain on my mattress which didn't smear and came out completely when I rubbed it with a q-tip + saliva.

Thanks!

2. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 6:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey tender.buttons,

It is impossible to tell what is attacking you based on bites alone (a good doctor/dermatologist may be able to tell you that it is a bug bite, but they are just as likely to not know after a biopsy). I too have heard that peoples bites change over time - and I thought this was the case with me, however it turns out that I never had bed bugs at all. I had chigger bites, followed up by some sort of auto-immune disorder (I have several) because of them. It could be possible that you got bit by fleas, or chiggers, or some sort of other pest and are having some delayed reactions or the like.

My initial bites were hardened red bumps that itched terribly and located around my feet/ankles and my lower thighs. My 'new' bites (which began approximately 3 weeks later) were singular, lasted anywhere from 24 -72 hours and wouldn't really itch all that much. If I did scratch at them though they would suddenly itch more and resemble a mosquito bite - fading away to a red bump again in about 30 minutes or so. I still get these occasionally but not as often now as I used to (I have an occasional day or two without them).

Have you asked your friend if (s)he has bed bugs? I realize that (s)he may be a non-reactor but asking the person you were with for a day or so may be helpful. Finally - other insect bites can have delayed reactions as well. I was out on a beach here in New Jersey and thought it completely safe (as there were no blades of grass about) and what a mistake that was. My shins/calves were covered in sand fleas and two days later (yesterday, Tuesday) is when the itchy welts have decided to show up covering my shins/calves in glory.

3. bugnut

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 7:05:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I also had bites react differently, but that was over a year apart, not 2 weeks. Not an expert, but since I do have skin that reacts pretty readily to everything, I would say it it not the same bite.

Do you know if your friend actually had bbs? Both could be bites but neither bed bugs.

4. tender.buttons

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 11:22:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks NewBlood and bugnut for the help!

NewBlood: it's interesting that you mention auto-immune disorder because I noticed that my usually mild eczema flared up like crazy a week after I first noticed the bites. I'm pretty certain that whatever the bites were, they totally wonked up my immune system.

My backstory is that I was at my friend's place for an entire week dog-sitting, and slept in his bed. I first noticed the bites on the fourth day, a whole bunch of them on my calf started itching. Some were welty and flesh-colored, while others were smaller bumps with a red center. I didn't really think anything of it since my skin is very sensitive and I sometimes get rashes for no apparent reason. But on the sixth night there was a row of four bites on my inner thigh; the bites were perfectly spaced and formed an arc shape. And in the morning there was another arc on the other side of that leg.

Since I've been at home for the past week however, my bites have almost exclusively been singular (I've been averaging one a day). That's been the main difference. The bites still vary in size and reaction, though they are generally much smaller and don't have the red center. And most of them only appear or become raised if I scratch at them (generally disappearing within the hour). My older bites took at least a day to just calm down. Perhaps these aren't new BB bites and it's just my immune system overreacting to the initial bites? One can only hope. How did you finally get the chigger bite/autoimmune disorder diagnosis?

-------------------
    bugnut: my friend inspected his place a couple nights ago and didn't find anything. But I'm pretty sure he made only a cursory inspection (his bed is heavy and in a corner and it would have taken him much longer than 15 minutes to properly check everything and get back to me). I think the fact that he's never had an allergic reaction makes him skeptical to the possibility that he might have bedbugs. I'm just going to have to wait and see if anything turns up here. It's kind of funny (in a sad and pathetic way) that I'd be overjoyed if these turned out to be chigger or flea bites.

5. bugnut

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 11:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I know - I had poison ivy and was thrilled to find out my initial "bumps" were not bites.

The flea theory is plausible - esp. if you are not exposed to them regularly. Your friend should really look closer - it is in his best interests

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,606 posts in 29,294 topics over 90 months by 12,634 of 19,881 members. Latest: fluffbuggy, paintedveil, mikemorin