Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites or rash? Please help identify!!!

(6 posts)
  1. carolinebitey

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 13:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting bizarre bumps all over my hands and forearms for four days now. As of yesterday, there were a few bumps on my legs and near my shoulders, and one or two on my neck. Bumps are EXTREMELY itchy and have not been clearing up. I've used Afterbite and poison ivy treatment with no real results. The weirdest part is how the bumps can look very different from eachother - some are big red splotches, others look like a small red bump, others look like a whitehead with redness surrounding, others are a cluster of a few tiny bumps that look like one big bump at a distance. I have a straight line of 8 bumps on one hand, but they did not all happen on the same night, which makes me think that it might be a rash, because I don't know if an insect could be that precise if it returned to a site it had already bitten.
    I can't find any sign of bugs in my bed when I comb through the sheets, but two nights ago a very tiny bug crawled across the page of a book I was reading around 1am. It was greyish in color, smaller than a full size bedbug, didn't seem to be able to jump/fly, but looked generally like a bedbug, though it's entirely possible it was just some harmless insect.
    My boyfriend has not been bitten, and my dogs, who sleep in my bed, have not seemed itchier than usual.
    I can't tell if these are bed bug bites, insect bites or a rash that is spreading. Since it's memorial day weekend, I'll have to continue suffering until Tuesday when I can try to get an emergency dermatologist appointment.

please see images here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44678690@N07/sets/72157624042886881/

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 13:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone agrees that you can't definitively make a diagnosis of bed bug bit from a photograph..

but...

they do look like bed bug bites to me...

or they could be carpet beetle "bite like" allergic reaction..

or maybe you have some type of mite that is biting you...mites are really tiny but you can see them moving around...across a page of a book..your computer screen or your arm or hand...i've had mite bites and they are more like bumps and sometimes with little white head things...very itchy also...

examine your bed closely...and the books near your bed...i have stopped buying at yard sales and ordering second hand books on line. In fact i was thinking of getting rid of all of my paper books and just having an electronic library...would save space and less risks of bugs and book mites.

You might, as i understand it, have received all the bites that you see in a row or line at the same time and since sometimes the allergic reaction to the saliva or the bug that causes the splotch, pimp, bump, etc., is evident some days after the bite...

try to catch one of those suckers...

try to catch one of those buggers

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 14:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

"I can't find any sign of bugs in my bed when I comb through the sheets, but two nights ago a very tiny bug crawled across the page of a book I was reading around 1am. It was greyish in color, smaller than a full size bedbug, didn't seem to be able to jump/fly, but looked generally like a bedbug, though it's entirely possible it was just some harmless insect."

You could have described a booklouse, but you could have described a very small first instar bed bug nymph although not typically grayish. (That depends on lighting and your definition of grayish, normally more tannish). You are comparing to a full size bed bug so please look on flickr.com to see postings of various sizes of bed bug adults and nymphs. They're not restricted to the sheets, so they could be in the frame or surrounding areas, behind a picture or wall hanging of some sort. Have to look for fecal stains, eggs, egg shells, shed skins and of course dead or live bugs. Some of your bites are consistent with bed bug bites, especially those depicted on your right arm. As noted in other post, it's possible that rodent or bird parasitic mites are to blame. Again, difficult to diagnose bed bugs from bites alone.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  4. carolinebitey

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 16:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

A dove has been nesting on my fire escape for the past few weeks. I think its egg has hatched. Maybe that could be a source of bird mites - my apartment is pretty crappy so there are lots of little cracks in the window frames to crawl through. Can a dermatologist diagnose bird mites?

5. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 16:56:40
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bugs also prey on birds and bats.

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 18:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Dove nest recently vacated, huh? You may have mites and you may have bed bugs too. Some of your pictures really remind me of the mites i had when my husband didn't destroy a pidgeon nest like i told him too. AArrrghhh...

When i had the bird mites i took ammonia (full strength - but you be careful if you're going to use it full strength because you might asphyxiate yourself..might be better for you to try it diluted) and i cleaned the area where they had come in...the nest had been right under my office window...i mopped the floor with the amonia also and poured it all out on the terrace where the nest had been.

Also, and this is something i am also doing since i had bed bugs...i burn insence...i have this charcoal round and i heat that up on the stove and when it's red hot i take the tongs and put that in a thick metal container (like an insence burner) then put some delicious smelling incense (like frankinsence or myrrh) and put that on the hot charcoal...then i walk around my crib with that...

It soothes my nerves....the aroma is very calming.

When i did that for the mites along with the cleaning every other day with amonia...soon i found i did not have more mites in the office area...(although i did start to suspect they were biting me on the sofa in the living room which is adjacent to the office area)...Now i think the sofa had the carpet beetles because i found the larva there..

oy vey...

Anyway...try some ammonia (but be careful because full strenth is REALLY strong)...open the windows...And take some and pour it where the dove nest was and all around there...be careful though.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.