Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites only on groin, armpits, back and buttocks

(15 posts)
  1. Gingerbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2008 18:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. We went on a weekend trip two weeks ago, and after being home about two days, we all started waking up with bites. My husband and I have only had 3 or 4 over the last two weeks, but our two children who share a bedroom and are in bunk beds have gotten numerous bites.

None of the bites have been on our legs or arms. They have been on the waist or at the waistline, on my children on the folds in their thigh (groin), on my son's penis, on both their arm pit areas, back, and butts.

The doctor says they do look a lot like bed bug bites to him (a few were the three-in-a-row variety), but he is first treating us for scabies to rule that out.

So my question is: do most of you get the bites on your legs and arms as well? Does this sound more like scabies? The reason I fear it is bedbugs is, of course, the travel, but also the fact that the bites that they received 10 days ago have faded to just a little reddish scab of a dot in the middle.

Also, no signs of bedbugs in my house so far, except for one dead bug that could possibly be one - not sure - that I found under one of the couch cushions.

2. Gingerbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2008 18:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Should also mention that we have had rat problems in the area - they ate up most of our citrus crop about 2 months ago. We didn't have a PCO come as they are not in the house, nor all over the place. I am wondering if the bites could also be from rat mites.

3. theprey

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2008 20:52:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The waist (and abdomen generally) is a very common area for bed bugs to target. Mostly I've had face, arm, and leg bites, but I've had some on my stomach, some on my back....

I personally haven't had groin bites, but I understand they can happen. If you scroll down you'll see someone else's question about a bite on the penis.

I wouldn't wait to be treated for scabies. One dead bed bug is, I'm sorry to say, cause for alarm. Take it to a pest control operator for identification. If it is a bed bug, you'll want to start moving forward.

4. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2008 21:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It couldn't be a dead bed bug ... because the damn things never die!

Just kidding.

What's with all the Doctors saying something is Scabies without even taking a quick peek under the microscope? It should be easy enough to identify.

5. Gingerbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2008 22:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The doctor actually, to my surprise, is leaning more toward bed bugs. But I think that it is not so easy to determine it is scabies by the scraping - false negatives are common. So, he didn't wait to do a scrape test and thought it best to treat for scabies first to rule it out.

I do intend to phone a pest control operator tomorrow about the bug. Today was spent on the scabies assumption so that I could wash all bedding and select clothes, and putting all stuffed toys in plastic bags. My poor kids. It is also hard to stay calm and not alarm them about the whole thing.

6. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2008 22:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider chiggers:

The preferred feeding locations on people are parts of the body where clothing fits tightly over the skin such as around the belt line, waistline, under girdles and under socks, or where the flesh is thin, tender or wrinkled such as the ankles, in the armpits, back of the knees, in front of the elbow, or in the groin.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

Also: http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/ohio/science/art13001.html

7. halp_halp_halp

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 0:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Do assume bed bugs and react accordingly. I had pretty much the exact same bite patterns as you describe (also after a weekend trip--did you vacation in sheffield, mass?) and turned out it was definitely bed bugs. I was so, so hoping it would be scabies, but after a few weeks I have started finding casings in the bed. Putting white sheets on the bed and carefully inspecting them makes it easier to tell when you're seeing little lines and blobs of bb droppings, and makes it easier to see the casings too. Save whatever you find with sticky tape on a piece of paper, or in a jar if that works. Sigh. I just realized I am now a bed bug scrapbooker.

You may want to have a PCO consult with you first, but if I were you I would also get going on immediately isolating the beds, sprinkling diatomaceous earth around the baseboards, and doing all the laundry/ziploc things to prevent those suckers from extracting any more food out of your family. If they can't eat, they can't multiply. I think.

8. belle72

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 0:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing that drives me MAD is that our trip was 8 weeks prior to the first bites or signs of a bug (we've only seen one alive, ever). Isn't 8 weeks a long incubation time??

And that is a source of constant worry - that if it wasn't on the trip, then where in the hell did we get these devils??

9. Musikal19

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 2:07:28
    #

Login to Send PM

God only knows where they came from, how they got there, and why they make our lives so miserable...

And how it makes so many of us sleep deprived, paranoid, ITCHY, and just plain irritable

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 12:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs can bite you any place on your body, that has been my experience.

11. bugration

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 12:24:30
    #

Login to Send PM

belle: I've heard it can sometimes take many of weeks being bitten before finally reacting to the bites so you might also have gone weeks of being bitten (during and after your trip) without realizing.

12. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 14:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

This is true.

13. belle72

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 19:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you bugration & lieutenant, that explains a lot. I'm concerned though since we slept at our son's house (wife and 2 little ones) after the trip to Disney...of course the BBs could have stayed in our luggage, but it worries me nonetheless, about the grandbabies.

I've told them to search, search and search again but I don't know if they are diligent enough. I consider myself an intelligent woman and I had to be hit between the eyes, ie - have bites + a few dead casings + a bloodspot on the sheet BEFORE I started investigating.

Thanks again.

14. Gingerbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2008 0:26:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your comments re: the bites and bite pattern. Still not sure what is going on. And thank you, oldtimer, re: the chigger link. It could be chiggers - we have a wild grassy area that the kids have just started playing in the last two weeks. Also looks a lot like fleas, according to the doc, but he would not rule out bbs.

In the meantime, we have treated for scabies/chiggers (doc says the permethrin works on both), and are hoping for no new bites. Still no sign of bugs, except for the questionable dead bug that I am not sure about. Still have not heard back from the PCO

15. Gingerbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 18:23:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all-thanks for your comments and suggestions. It does look like we had chiggers. Thanks so much to hopelessnomo for the suggestion and the link to the website. The bite pattern was a real tipoff, but the fact that we had travelled a few days prior and that the bites seemed to be at night were what initally led us here to this site.

For those considering chiggers, here is the site hoplessnomo suggested:

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/ohio/science/art13001.html

If your bites are at the underwear line, groin, armpits, it may be chiggers.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,384 posts in 29,444 topics over 90 months by 12,706 of 19,969 members. Latest: hinfungyik, abq671, skittles1234