Bites Once Every Few Weeks ?

(5 posts)
  1. Myron

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 15 2009 9:17:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Every few weeks I appear to get several bedbug bites on my thigh or legs. I thought these bites are supposed to come daily. Also, I've checked my bedsheets, mattress, etc in the middle of the night and nothing can be found. I have yet to find an actual bedbug. How could there be bedbugs if they only come once every several weeks? I thought the bites appear daily. My dermatologist isn't sure what they are. They are very itchy. Any advice? Maybe they're mosquito bites or just allergies? I am going nuts.

2. Kerri1

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 15 2009 10:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

trust me read my story and they are coming from else where!

Kerri1

3. Scared and Frustrated

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 15 2009 12:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having the same problem. I am not getting many bites, and when I do, it is usually two weeks apart. I had the K9 come in which indicated I had them, but the PCO could not find any physical evidence. He thinks I should try steaming, DE, etc. to deal with this since it seems like a very mild infestation. So far, it's been more than 2 weeks since my last bite, however, I feel itchy all the time from paranoia. I guess it's just a waiting game for me then? I don't know what else to do.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 15 2009 13:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Myron,

Finding bed bugs, especially if you don't know what exactly to look for, can be hard. They're a pretty well-adapted pest in that they hide effectively and only come out to feed.

Dermatologists cannot, no matter what they say, reliably diagnose what type of bug bit you from looking at a bug bite. They can tell something bit you, but not what it was.

The best way to confirm a bed bug infestation is to find a good PCO with a lot of experience dealing with bed bugs and have him or her come out to your residence and do a thorough inspection.

It is not a good idea to treat for bed bugs without confirmation that you have bed bugs. There are a number of other pests that can cause bites or bite like responses, and today's pest control is all about selecting the chemicals or other methods to kill a pest based on what the particular pest is.

It is possible that you're being exposed to bed bugs somewhere else or that they are migrating from another location in your building if you live in a multi-unit building. However, even if that's the case, the best way to get rid of the bugs is to hire a good, experienced PCO who knows his or her stuff with bed bugs to inspect your apartment and any adjacent apartments.

Just recently, we heard back from at least one person who treated with thermal for bed bugs who turned out not to have them. When posters here encourage people to hire a good PCO it's not because we get kickbacks from pest control professionals--it's because we've seen people think they have bed bugs when they have another pest but only figured that out after spending money on costly treatments, or because we've seen people try to self-treat and make the problem worse only to have to spend money on a pro down the road on top of what they spent on self-treatment.

So, it's possible that you have bed bugs. It's possible that they are migrating from a neighboring unit. It's also possible that you have some sort of other pest. It's possible that you have them and missed them during your inspection since you don't have a lot of experience inspecting for them. It's also possible you don't have them at all and don't need to treat for them but do have something like carpet beetles. The fastest and most long-term cost efficient way to find out is to do the careful research to find a good PCO who knows his or her stuff and have that person inspect to get to the root of your problem.

5. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 15 2009 20:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

You got to find where they are hiding. If you live in a multi-unit apartment, and there coming in, they obviously are coming from some you got to find out where. It could be an easy location it may be hard. The problem since some time has lapsed and you already are a blood meal, they have laid eggs and the growth cycle has begun. Your job now is to cut off where they are coming from, then focus in on your unit knowing no more are coming in. Look at it as a quarantine situation, with bed bugs. If you just moved into a new unit check all areas, just because the unit looks nice when you moved in, you don't realize how many holes there are from adjacent units in which they could come in from. The problem with calling a PCO is first of all they come in, they do what they have to do then they leave, you still have the holes open up, and more just keep coming in. In your situation it seems the cycle has begun as mentioned. Do call a PCO since the state your in, but not until you have done some caulking and investigating because all you will do if you don't take those steps is throw your money down the toilet (or you can give it for free to people ) Bugs are Bugs they survive off our stupidity and a lack of common sense, although with bed bugs, there a little more difficult because a) there flat b) there flat (is that a oxymoron?)

I'm for a strong chemical or maybe there is something nature has that kills them and we could never have to worry about bed bugs again, but it seems that won't happen until it gets out of hand as it did in the 40's.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,658 posts in 31,245 topics over 95 months by 13,516 of 17,228 members. Latest: sbm123, bedbugkiller999, wunderful2