Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bites on the head

(8 posts)
  1. BeeBee

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 3:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone else getting a lot of bites on their heads? Most of my bites are over my head, which is strange since I've read that bed bugs hate hair and will usually travel down to the face or neck. I'm thankful I'm not getting bit on the face of course, since my bites don't itch, they puff up and HURT.

My hair is long and very thick. Have no idea how they burrow in to my scalp, but they manage. I've always slept with my blankets pulled all the way up to my chin, with my hands tucked by my knees, so really my head is the only thing exposed.

I wear face cream to bed, don't know if that deters them from my face and neck or not.

I've had bites in the past over my chest and shoulders and a few on my legs and the back of my neck. Most are now concentrated on my head.

My pillows are in plastic pillow protectors with the zippers taped over to prevent cracks. I sleep on a futon and I've caulked and dusted and duct taped all cracks. The futon legs are in glass containers filled with baby oil, so there's no way for the f....ers to get at me from the floor. I've also covered the futon in a mattress protector with the zipper duct taped over.

Is it common to get bites on the head? Right now I'd say I have about 7 or 8. That's typical. I get about 3 new ones every few days.

I have a PO coming in two weeks. In the meantime, I'm a bit scared because these bites HURT so much. They feel like spider bites, and they're very sore and kind of heated with a burning pain. I don't itch them, since they don't itch. But I rub them a lot. It relieves the pain a little.

Thanks!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 4:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its certainly unusual for Bed Bugs to be active on a scalp unless the whole room is thoroughly infested and I mean thousands if not tens of thousands of Bed Bugs.

If you are not finding any of the classic signs of faecal traces, cast skins and live samples I would suggest that you go see you doctor before you see a pest controller. The issue as you describe sounds more medical than pest related.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 4:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You are more likely to have nits, lice or scabies. Go to the Doctor ASAP. Then again I heard it's not so cheap and easy to do that in America

4. BeeBee

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 13:46:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I have gone to the doctor (and yeah, in America it ain't cheap, even with insurance) and she said they look like spider bites except that there are so many. She was kind of stumped and asked if I had been doing a lot of camping.

I have, actually, been the bites never appear except the nights I sleep in my house. Strange. Still think it's bed bugs 'cause I found an ugly flat bug in my bed six weeks ago. "What a strange, flat bug," I thought, and immediately killed it with Raid and threw it away. That was before I learned I was supposed to keep such beauties as evidence.

Thanks for the replies. Me and my poor bitten head shall amble on through the rest of the day.

5. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 21:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

On the one hand, I bow in deference to those more knowledgeable. On the other hand, we are still on a learning curve and have read here lots of wacky stories of the bugs doing things they're not supposed to do. Bedbugs seem to be cunning, opportunistic masters of adaptation. Perhaps you have presented a situation where they find your scalp the easiest and most likely location of obtaining a blood meal. Dunno, just a speculative hypothesis.

If you're sure you do, in fact, have bedbugs...

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 0:06:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Got any new pillows recently?

We're told they usually aren't into heads. On the other hand, they're great opportunists. IF it is bed bugs, they may live near where your head is when you sleep or lie on the sofa (etc.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. BeeBee

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 1:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone!

I sleep with the quilt pulled all the way up to my neck. And I'm thinking that those ol' bugs are somehow getting up on the bed (but how??), cruising up the quilt and encountering my head. Then they simply burrow down, bite and get the heck out of dodge.

Still, it's strange though, isn't it? Because my hair is very thick. And the bugs can squeeze in tight places. Isn't it odd that they don't squeeze beneath the quilt and down under my nightgown and bite the heck out of my back or shoulders?

I just want the damned things to STOP biting me!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 11:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It is very strange and unusual. I would keep exploring other explanations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,722 posts in 31,256 topics over 95 months by 13,522 of 17,234 members. Latest: NotInfested, slee, Zenchess