Bites on scalp, but no signs of bugs

(4 posts)
  1. DDbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 11:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I've spent a lot of time recently looking through this forum and inspecting my apartment for bedbugs. I have been having bites the past few weeks, but they only show up on my scalp, mostly on the back of my neck. My first thought was that I had headlice, but after checking my scalp and using a lice comb repeatedly, I've come up with nothing.
    It seems that I get these bites after I have been sitting on my couch (although I cannot be 100% sure of this, as I know bedbug bites do not always show up immediately). I did often sit on my couch without a shirt on, so I cannot believe that bedbugs would prefer biting my scalp over an area without hair.
    I have thoroughly inspected the inside of my couch and havent found any fecal stains, molted shells, or other signs. I haven't seen any bugs either. Does anybody have any idea what this could possibly be? I'm going to set up some climb up traps and CO2 traps this weekend to see if I can catch anything. Any advice or insight from anybody would be awesome

Thanks in advance

2. DDbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2011 0:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update in case anyone is interested. The problem turns out not to be bed bugs. I found a bug scurrying around behind my couch today, and from doing a bit of searching I am 99% sure it is a carpet beetle larvae. This would explain why the skin reaction I am having is on the scalp on the back of my neck, that is the main place my skin touches when I am sitting on my couch.
    I am so relieved I don't have bed bugs, although I realize these can be a nuisance to get rid of as well. I bought some DE and put on my particulate dust mask and dusted the edges inside the sofa and around the floor board. Are there any household pesticides that are particularly good at killing carpet beetles and not harmful? Also, any ideas on how to best remove residual larvae hairs from my furniture? I was planning on vacuuming everything and wiping everything down with a damp rag (the couch is leather), but I didn't know if there was some other agent that is better at removing the hairs.

3. justaquestion

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 18 2011 7:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I'm going through the exact same thing. I get "bites" mostly on my shoulder blades, but also on the nape of my neck. I did in fact find loads of carpet beetles in the sofa.

From all my research, it's best to start by thoroughly vacuuming with a HEPA air filter and tossing the bag immediately afterward. Since this can spread the little hairs around the room, you should also use an air filter to hopefully suck some of them up. I've already found some relief by just running the air filter for a few hours throughout the day.

DE is supposed to work well for the beetles. I think after the initial cleaning, you just have to keep cleaning to make sure you get all the new hatchlings. Maybe once a week for a month or more?

I'm just going to toss my couch. I could use a new one anyway It will get rid of what seems to be the main source of the beetles and then I can do a super thorough cleaning behind and below before getting something new and lightweight, easier to clean (maybe a simple futon with a metal/wooden frame).

Good luck!

4. justaquestion

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 18 2011 7:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

**Oops--I meant to say you should also use an air purifier for the ROOM to suck up any residual floating hairs!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,341 posts in 28,321 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter