Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bites more than a week after 2nd treatment?

(9 posts)
  1. crazedmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2009 16:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel after our second treatment and imagined life being normal once again. This morning I woke up with bites all over my legs and some on my back. Granted, we are plagued with mosquitos out here in Brooklyn but these are like the ones I had a month ago when this whole nightmare started. Everything we own is in plastic bags and we are all sleeping on air mattresses. No neighbors with bed bugs so WTF? We still have some unwashed clothes in sealed Ziplock bags? Could this be the culprit? I have been terrified of opening them to do laundry for fear that something would sneak out. Are we exposing ourselves to a dangerous amount of pesticides if we have the house sprayed again. My PCO said bed bugs are gone 99% of the time after the second treatment. How can we be in this dreaded 1%. Has this happened to anyone out there?

2. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2009 22:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi crazedmom,

We are in Brooklyn too. When treatment started, the bugs started coming out. We stayed up, taking turns, to catch and kill them. I think we diminished their numbers by about 20 and their potential by a lot more. Anyhow, about after the 3rd or 4th treatment, I stopped getting bitten for about 2 weeks. Then we saw them again, when we took some big paintings off a rack to seal up (as well as to paint and seal any crevices on the painting rack). Got bitten again by 2, caught them both.

The PCO came back the next day.

More than a month went by. A few nights ago, while laying on the couch watching Family Guy, one bit me. Thanks to extreme reaction, also instant, I caught the little vampire.

PCO didn't understand. He came by on Friday. Opinion is a rogue / neighbors next building has BBs. Hoping for a rogue, rather than the larger problem of neighbor having them too.

Similar situation to you, everything that can fit into ziplocs are sealed up, plus we even made our own plastic bags for huge items like paintings.

Only choice is continue to fight these vampire bugs, keep at your routine of vacuuming and sealing up cracks and crevices + ziploc-ing. I swear I should start buying stocks of GLAD.

Good luck. Let us know how you fare!

3. yupitsme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 2:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi crazedmom,

I'm also in Brooklyn (anyone sense a pattern here?). I read tonight that in some cases skin doesn't react to bites for as long as nine days. Meaning maybe you were bit before your last treatment? Do you usually react right away? Have you seen any new bugs?
    My roommate had bites and I never did, but I started itching and having marks after our first treatment this week. I'm hoping the bites came from the pre-treatment time while we were insanely bagging and preparing.. perhaps that's what is going on with you.

I feel for you though, I'm dreaming about properly sweeping, mopping and unpacking but I have to wait another three weeks! Regarding an additional treatment, it probably depends on what kind of pesticides your pco is using.. can you check with him re: safety?

4. crazedmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 9:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the Brooklynites' responses. I thought about the nine day thing but I seem to respond immediately. I don't know if it's better or worse that I haven't seen any live ones yet. I think it would be satisfying to kill a couple! I reckon we have spent close to 500 dollars on giant ziplock bags and the amount of plastic we are using is probably creating a giant carbon footprint with my name on it. I have been in a bit of denial about the pesticide thing. The PCO said it's Eco friendly but the EPA's standards are pretty loose. I have kids and worry about this but I'm so desperate to get rid of them that I haven't researched it thoroughly. I too dream of plopping myself down on a couch that is not covered in plastic, sleeping on a big cushy bed that is not made of plastic and generally feeling like my house is mine again. I started to feel close to this happening and now it seems like a distant dream. Christmas maybe? The smell of contractor bags is making me gag.

5. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 10:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to encase my couch, which is a love seat, in a mattress encasement. I figure if I get the king size encasement, my couch will fit in it with alot of extra fabric to mold to the form of the couch. At this point, carbon footprint will have to give way, at least the ziplocs are used for a while, not used and thrown out constantly. In fact, I'll be living out of them for a whole year (at least). I'm committed to really be rid of the bugs, even if I have to live like this for a couple of year. I realised through this ordeal that I don't need much to live on, materials-wise, and it's really made my life easier. Even my books are sealed up. We are getting rid of a couple of the bookcases, since they could potentially be hiding places for the bugs. Less clutter too.

I fear re-infestation more than anything, at this point. Anything to avoid that.

I have some spray from my PCO, so will spray the couch tonight/tomorrow. I was bitten last Tuesday, so I figure that if the lone bug was there before then (female) and has laid some eggs, and it takes the eggs 10 days to hatch, if I spray tonight/tomorrow, any live nymphs will hit the spray and die. It really is quite satisfying killing these bugs (sorry PETA, right now, it's survival of the fittest!) We took 2 and ziploc-ed them up, to test them, froze them for 8 hours. Took them out and laid them on the counter for a week, to see if they defrosted and came back to life. Happy to declare them as dead as a lamppost!

I think this fight with bbs bring out the cavemen/women in us all!

Thinking of investing in buying a Packtite. If I have guests coming to stay next year, I will want to protect us and protect them! A good investment? Plus when we travel, that will be helpful to have when we come home. No re-infestation. I'll rather be a little more paranoid than to have those bugs again. It's pretty frightful, thinking about how badly Brooklyn is infested. It seems like when I look at people on the street, I look at their legs and if I see welts (which I've been seeing more of, lately), I think these people have the bbs. What a way to look at things and people!

crazedmom, it's actually a good thing your unwashed clothes are in ziplocs. that at least will contain whatever that's possibly in the clothes!

If I could, I will encase everything! even my big goofy dog!

6. crazedmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 12:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BBfiend... why a year? Is that just being extra cautious. I too walk around looking at people's limbs and wonder "do they/don't they?" This really f@#ks with your head. When we're finally rid of this plague I'm not sure I'll be able to have any house guests, much less ever stay in a hotel. We're certain we picked these up on vacation which is such a shame. I could have gotten them here in the drop of a hat if I wanted to. As far as the unwashed clothes, my fear is that something will escape from the bag when I empty it into the washing machine. Does anyone have a technique for doing this without risking re-infestation? BTW, has your dog been bit. M y dog has several bites on her belly but she tends to get that in the summer anyway. We are started to tell more people about having bedbugs hoping it will lessen the social stigma. Not sure if it's a good idea or not. Still feel like a leper(sp?)

7. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 14:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

the dog doesn't seem to have been bitten, the PCO told us that if the dog was bitten, he would have been itching like crazy. he doesn't seem to be scratching more than usual, so it doesn't seem like it.

as to why a year, it seems that the bugs can live up to 18 months without any food. as to whether it's a fact, it also seems that no one really knows for sure. i'm a little paranoid right now, as you can tell, hence at least a year of living in ziploc... you should ask your PCO about this. Ours pretty much told us this is the right way to live, at least for now, and that what we are doing - vacuuming, ziploc-ing everything, plus more, checking constantly, patching up the holes and crevices in our old apartment.. all that help a lot. again, due to the overwhelming fear of being reinfested, i figure this is an easier thing than the alternative.

oh, my head is definitely messed up. was at a diner one morning and saw something brown on the wall.. freaked out! it was just a sesame seed though, see... messed up head.

i don't have washer/dryer at home, so i bring my laundry into the laundramette. what i did was when we open the bag of dirty clothes, i make sure the clothes were quickly put into the washer, carefully too. don't want any, if any, bugs to fall out. i want to kill everyone of them.

my husband and i are choosing to live like leper right now.. the fear of passing the bug to someone else is way too overwhelming versus entertaining guests or going to a friend's place. i'm trying to take it all in stride though, trying to use this non-social time to be more sanguine.. else i think i would go nuts.

i feel for you, crazedmom, it's hard having kids and dealing with this at the same time. my husband's daughter visited us this summer and we started getting these bites at around the same time, and trying not to freak her out and killing the bugs and keeping our sanity is a juggling act.

hey, if you react quickly to the bites, could you catch the bug that bites you? my reaction is pretty instantaneous, the anaesthetic from the bugs don't work on me, so i've been able to catch those that bit me right after being bitten. i figure that one less female bug means less eggs laid! i would do almost anything to catch all the females to prevent more reproductions.

my husband and i initially took turns staying up (we work at home, so could do that). we managed to catch all that came onto the bed. gave me a lot of pleasures, i can tell you, in killing these bugs! if we see any more bites, we will go back to the routine of staying up. our PCO thought we are pretty militant and nuts, but productively so! haha..

8. crazedmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 16:54:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know where they are coming from in your room? I think if I stayed up at night I'd be more insane than I already am. I don't feel myself being bit, just start itching in the morning, usually after a shower. My husband is bagging the alarm clock as we speak. Now we're wondering about the TV in the bedroom. We are second guessing these bleeping bugs all the time. Did you see my PM about your PCO?

9. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 17:02:43
    #

Login to Send PM

oops, will check out the pm now.. sorry, was offline earlier.

the bugs were coming from the walk-in closet off of the bedroom, and once everything in there is sealed up, we found that we had some big cardboard where the bbs were hiding (in the bdm). we were sleeping one night and strangely, in my sleep, i knew i had just been bitten, woke up, yelled for my husband, flung off the blankets and sure enough there were the bites. we started looking around and saw a bb on the cardboard, freaked out, taped the cardboard, which held big pieces of glass, and in the midst of zealously taping and sealing, one bb came out of hiding and was killed by the tape. we caught 3 all in all. we then caught 2 nypmhs on the bed. now, the PCO was here that day, after the treatment, the bbs came out. good thing actually, so we could kill them.

like you, we are always second-guessing the bugs, wondering if whether things would be different if we did things another way. don't think there's one right way though, i think it's a combo of different things we need to do.

going to your PM now.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

199,820 posts in 30,981 topics over 94 months by 13,429 of 20,833 members. Latest: AshleyMJ, bbopping1, BBmagnet