Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bites limited to arms?

(13 posts)
  1. FunkyMunk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 12 2007 22:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have what I believe are bedbugs. I am staking out tonight with a flashlight to confirm, but all the symptoms are seeming to add up. However, my bites are only located on my arms, mainly my forearms, with a few a bit above my elbow. Is this common?

2. baltimorebugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 12 2007 22:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

they go after the closest exposed skin so assuming you are sleeping in a t-shirt that could be a bedbug pattern of bites. i started with bites on the left forearm then they spread to the bilateral shoulders then bilateral legs and finally my neck. watch out.

3. FunkyMunk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 12 2007 22:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

No T-Shirt, only shorts, and frankly I'm seriously considering buying some briefs to sleep in.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 0:12:22
    #

Login to Send PM

They go for what is exposed and what is nearby. If they only go for your arms and everything else is exposed, then they may be coming from the direction nearest your arms. Do you sleep on your back? Side? Combination? It might help you figure out where to look for them, though they can be anywhere.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 0:12:59
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW you might want to wear a whole lot more, but don't cover up entirely--you don't want them to start on your face.

6. FunkyMunk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 0:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks..I sleep on my side, but I'm not positive which, I think I switch throughout the night.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 0:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was first bit it was just upper arms and upper back. Then it was wherever. They like veins that are easy to get to, apparently.

8. FunkyMunk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 0:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

That would explain it, I'm an upright bassist and my forearms have fairly pronounced veins since I use my hands quite a bit.

9. wantmyskinback

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 0:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FunkyMunk> i don't write much lately but I am... curious about your bites. What concerns me is your forearms mostly. Because if you are male and have hair..the bugs may not want to bite your forearms. If you are female well... maybe you are less hairy?

10. FunkyMunk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 1:01:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I am male, but since you pointed that out, it looks like only two of the bites are on parts of my forearm with significant hair coverage. The rest are on the "bottom" side that have little to no hair..

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 1:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I think body hair --spaced as it is-- is less of an issue than hair on the head (as a bed bug deterrent). I remember one Bedbugger who was bitten on his hairy back! (Hairy by his admission, I'm not judging!)

Funky, basses are cool! But I hope you don't have it at home. It can be tricky de-bugging a wooden instrument. Vikane commodity fumigation is often used.

12. FunkyMunk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 1:38:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just wondering about that. I keep my bass in its case...I don't know how bad my infestation is, but if they got to my bass...where can I get some of that DDT? (I'm only half kidding again.)

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2007 2:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't help with the DDT.

Is the bass in your bedroom? I'd inspect it carefully for signs (eggs, specks--either black specks like black pepper that can be moved, or what might be cast bed bug skins of any size, or black marks from feces that cannot be removed). Look on the bed bugs 101 FAQs for photos ("What are bed bugs?")

If you inspect carefully and see no signs, I'd move it to the part of the home where no one sleeps, where dirty laundry is not kept, and there is no sofa or other soft chairs. An underoccupied area of the home would be best. Outside would be better, though I suppose cold is damaging. I'd say take it to someone else's home or office or studio, but you should realize you could be spreading the bugs. So only do this if you are SURE.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,146 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter